Engine Noise

Nismo1970

Hey guys,

I've been getting a loud click clack noise from my engine, and when i give it some gas it seems to go away, but comes back when it revs down. and after i drive it it seems to go away. at first i thought it was my valves, but i took it in to get my carb tuned and they guy said its not  my valves. it might be a bearing somewhere in the front. the noise comes and goes, sometimes its there and sometimes its not. Anyone have an idea? 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A high pitched sound like clicking, clacking, ticking, is unlikely to be a bearing. It's probably something loose in the over head cam valve train.

Take the valve cover off and check each rocker arm where it contacts the top of the valve spring. It's possible that one of the lash pads has fallen out. If one fell out the clearance was and is excessive and it will be noisy. Compare the tops of the valve springs at the rocker arm and you will see what's missing. It may be lying on the head surface beside the spring and looks somewhat like an aspirin tablet.

Lash pads...

l-series-engine-lash-pad-99996-m1xxx.jpg

If all lash pads are in then check the clearance between the cam and the rocker arm. Too much clearance will make the rocker noisy. Clearance should be 0.010" on the intakes and 0.012: on the exhaust with the engine warmed up.

Not much you can do if the timing chain and tensioner is noisy except replace it. This is less likely than too much valve clearance. Check the oil level.... if low and it's in need of changing anyway try changing it and filter. Try Dello or Rotella 15W40 it's a bit thicker and has (or did have) the correct amount of ZDDP for out 'flat tappet' cams.

A high pitched sound like clicking, clacking, ticking, is unlikely to be a bearing. It's probably something loose in the over head cam valve train.

Take the valve cover off and check each rocker arm where it contacts the top of the valve spring. It's possible that one of the lash pads has fallen out. If one fell out the clearance was and is excessive and it will be noisy. Compare the tops of the valve springs at the rocker arm and you will see what's missing. It may be lying on the head surface beside the spring and looks somewhat like an aspirin tablet.

Lash pads...

l-series-engine-lash-pad-99996-m1xxx.jpg

If all lash pads are in then check the clearance between the cam and the rocker arm. Too much clearance will make the rocker noisy. Clearance should be 0.010" on the intakes and 0.012: on the exhaust with the engine warmed up.

Not much you can do if the timing chain and tensioner is noisy except replace it. This is less likely than too much valve clearance. Check the oil level.... if low and it's in need of changing anyway try changing it and filter. Try Dello or Rotella 15W40 it's a bit thicker and has (or did have) the correct amount of ZDDP for out 'flat tappet' cams.

Ok, i know this might be a dumb question, but jus want to make sure. Ok so you had mentioned i should use delo or rotolla 15w40 oil, now i noticed we use delo 15w40 at my work, i work for a trucking company, for our trucks which are diesels. Is that oil safe to use in my L20b? I jus changed the oil and i used a synthetic oil this time around, cant remember what brand but it was a 10w40 i believe.