'72 510 headlights and turn signals

I figured I better post something here before I go chasing wires around in circles.

'72 510, the low beams work on both sides but when i turn the high beams on, both left headlights go really dim and they're brand new.

Now I could probably figure out the turn signals but I might as well ask.

The turn signals turn on with the switch for the headlights but do not flash if i use the turn signal switch on the steering column. Are they both on one relay? I haven't even looked at the fuse box yet so it might just be that but just in case there's more complications I wanted to ask.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

headlight ? try reseating the connector to the fuse box and the reseat relay thats on the rear side of the strut tower.

your emergency flashers work?????? yes or NO You still have the emergency switch installed? If not they not going to work If i remeber right.

there are 2 aluminum looking cans under the dash by brake pedal. they will have 2 pronges You can swap them and see if anything changes. or reseat those also.

I'm wondering why your p/s main headlight isn't dimming when you turn on the high beams.  Something isn't wired right.  The D/S high-beam looks like it's series-wired through another bulb.

The turn signal shouldn't turn on with the headlights.  The parking light should, though.  The turn signals will NOT work if the hazard switch is disconnected or broken, as the turn signals wire through the switch when it's in the off position.

Since you are having a problem with both left lights, you might check the fuse for that side. Make sure its clean, and the fuse is good. Else its probably localized to the wires at the headlight there...

As far as turn signals. They are so very easy to wire up wrong on a 510. You probably just have the wires mixed up.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SejRibXNScEt0M28/edit?docId=0ByCvxnHNk90SSmpJOXMxekR2cnc

I'm in the process of cleaning all the terminals and connections I can find.

this is what I did to the 72 4dr, found a burned terminal at the fuse block. As you clean the connectors, make sure you put some die-electric grease on them so they won't corrode up.

to clean the female spade connectors, I use a finger nail file, had to file one side down a little so it would fit into the connector. Also you might want to get some lemon juice and soak your fuse block for a few hours. Then rinse it with warm water then blow dry. 

is your 510 a sedan or wagon, just wondering because theirs suppose to be a different s, not sure what.

and do you own a multi-meter ? If your working on wiring, you should get one if you don't, saves on a lot of guessing.

• Like 1

Oh and I noticed that one of my turn signals in the front is wired backwards. The right one is brighter than the left one and they're both brand new!

clean those contacks.

I didnt have a emergency switch on one car so I took it from another car and installed it and my turn sig and Emerg Flashers worked.

So what I did is have the Emerg swtich pushed IN (OFF MODE) and I ohm cked wich wires were shorted and I just used jumper wires in the other car to get my turn sigs to work (of caose I had no Emergency flashers but how many 510 owners really use them0

I just bought a 12 circuit painless wiring kit for it. The car only has half the wiring that it should and half of that is wired wrong anyway.

Now I dont have to deal with the hazard switch and all wires will be new! I might have to rig something up for the headlights considering the kit only comes with the wiring for a left and right headlight and I have 2 left and 2 right.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the wiring kit installed and wired up with almost no issues. I got a wiring diagram and had to do some cross referencing but it wasnt too difficult to figure out.

No it didn't have any of the right connectors but I did get a hold of a quick connect terminal kit and wire loom so it actually looks pretty good.

Oh and EVERYTHING WORKS! The painless wiring kit IS painless and it does not look like a "hack job"!