dual filiment sealed bulbs

mntnman

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be lots of things. 

1) Missing/broken ground at a headlight would make it turn on both filaments at half voltage, which might make the high beam light turn on.

2) Switch could be stuck in high.  But you said the relay clicks when you switch it, so it could be...

3) The relay is bad.  It's stuck on high.

Do the Bosch fogs have a metal  reflector??? If so the metal case grounds when mounted. The bulbs are grounded to the case and there is power to the filaments when the headlight switch is on... so they light up all the time. Insulate the metal reflector with electrical tape where they fit the headlight bucket and they will go out

Mike

if this is a 510 the connecter have 12volts all the time and its a switable ground.

ig the case is grounded like you say the light would come on soon as the case toughted the grill..

i would pop the relay off and see what happens. with the dash light.

maybe you can open the relay and ck if the contacks are shorted.

I seen people swap the connectors from the high and put them to the low side.

most time the realy on a 510 youll get no low beams and get all HIGH 4 lights on when a realy goes bad(usually dirty low caontack)

also I heard there is a ground wire by the hood latch iside thats for the headlight switch but never actaully ck this part out before.

make sure ground wire by Volt reg is good is another good thing to ck I guess

Do the Bosch fogs have a metal  reflector??? If so the metal case grounds when mounted. The bulbs are grounded to the case and there is power to the filaments when the headlight switch is on... so they light up all the time. Insulate the metal reflector with electrical tape where they fit the headlight bucket and they will go out

I think Mike has the answer for this one.  I had the same concern when I got my car a few years ago.  The headlights would stay on and eventually I figured out that the metal reflector on the Mercedes fog lights was providing a ground path.  Solution was to add some plastic insulation to the headlight housing.  Just be carefuller to keep an eye on it because my first attempt with one layer of electric tape eventually got worn thru and the lights came back on.

Datzenmike

510s all 3 prongs(puter lamps) and both prongs on the highs(inners) have 12volts all the time.With switch in the OFF mode.

so if the older style case then the lamps lights up

Icehouse told me of this. He had found a car with this proplem of the lights staying On with switch off. He took out the lamps and noticed electrical tape on the 3 tabs to isolate tha case.

I dont think it has anything to do with the Orginal post here.

You have already asked this question here... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/51791-dual-filiment-sealed-bulbs/

how would i need to wire up dual filiment sealed lights so i can keep my bosch fogs where high beams would be, 71 510 is the car, right now it doesnt switch low high and dash high beam light stays on toggling lever back and forth but i hear the relay clicking

In fact I think the question was answered. If you have more questions about your high beams you should go back there and ask it. I'll merge them.

There are 2 black wires on the plug. They tie into each other under the looming. Dont worry about it.

As far as 510 headlight power.

68/69 have power to headlights at all times.

70+ have power only with the switch.   For a fact, my lowbeams are grounded 100% of the time, yet they only come on with the switch.

If you are confused about the plug. Standard pinout for a 510 is the same as H4 connectors, except instead of ground, we have +12v. And then low and high are actually grounds, but in the same corresponding location.

Laecaon

70+ have power only with the switch. ??????

Not true.what I have seen and I learn most from my 71 510.

If has a H4 harnness then a wire goes to the ground.

all my 510s had power to the lights and switch grounds it.(stock wiring)

if a alarm is installed then it gets swapped to switchable power( most I seen on High beams )

Mountain man take photos of the relay. Most jap relays are the metal silver color and 510s never had a blk relay esp if its plastic.