Found - A forest in Southeastern Oklahoma that grows Datsuns freerange...

Camtron

(and old-school VWs, MGs, Fiats, Carollas, and Subarus. As well as chevy's and fords and other "typical' salvadge finds.)

There's an old-timer who lives about 10 miles outside of town, off the highway near a state park. I've known this guy was out there for as long as I can remember. I didn't really know this guy; except for that he had kept my dad's Westfalia semi-roadworthy for a number of years, but yesterday (Sunday) I decided to just go over, knock on the shop door, and see if he'd let me poke around and see what he had. I didn't get an answer when I hollared for him, and was about to leave when I saw a nice looking Toyota Hilux off to the side of the shop. By the time I had gotten to the truck, I saw a row of MGbs along toward the back. At that point I just started walking around looking at stuff. I didn't have a camera that day, but luckily I went back today semi-prepared. I say semi-prepared because my camera was almost dead so I didn't take as many today as I would have liked.

As I wandered along, looking at rows and rows of cool old cars that you wouldn't expect to see in rural oklahoma, I was keeping my eyes out for a 510. Now this was about a year into my thinking "those cars are sweet ass. Maybe some day I can get one" which gradually involved into an obsession and many pointless hours lurking here and checking ebay and craigslist for something I might be able to afford (that also wasn't halfway across the country. I'm looking at you, Pacific Northwest. Lucky bastards!) so the eyes were peeled for a 510, and finally I found it. A 1972 2 Door Sedan. Now, ideally I would have found a goon. And I still hope to find a goon. But this is in my own backyard and the price is waaaaaay right. So I went back around to the shop, finally found him, made him an offer, and he excepted. Then he realized how many trees he'd hafta cut down to get it to the the "road" he has back there and decided he needed a bit more, which I accepted. Went back today with the cash and the camera and now I'm happy to introduce my very first project car [project name: pending]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronsmith2012/8446047727/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronsmith2012/8446044605/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronsmith2012/8447143744/

(here's the link to the whole set:http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronsmith2012/sets/72157632694496174/)

Now, after we had gotten the dime out of the way, he asked if I liked the Z cars, as well. I confirmed that I did, and he said he had something he wanted to show me.I could see part of rear end from under the tarp, but that was it. He mentioned that this one was actually a Fairlady Z, which I thought meant he was confused, because I couldn't beleive that there would be such a rare car so close to me. But when he got some of the crap off of it I looked in and saw the RHD setup and a Fairlady Z dash emblem. It's not running, and is gonna need some serious repo work, but that's still a special car. He'd like to sell it (he's almost 80 and none of his family members lived past 82, so he keeps saying he's only got 3 more years to get rid of all his crap) and he know's it's worth something, but he has no idea what. I volunteered to upload my pictures and bring them to the guys who would know what to do. Unfortunately those guys were busy, but I thought maybe you Ratsun dudes could offer some info... or maybe a new place for this car to call home.I took as many pictures as I could, but I wouldn't be able to answer many questions about it. I know he said it didn't have peperwork, but he bought it from a police officer so he though it would be legit, and there are parts missing (although we found a lot of them in the hatch) but it's gotta be worth something. So if anyone is interested, or has any questions or anything just let me know and I'll pass them on.

Otherwise, Thanks for reading!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronsmith2012/sets/72157632690299773/

Also, i think it's a 77 model because of this tag: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameronsmith2012/8447151668/in/set-72157632690299773/

Would that be the correct year?

• Like 1
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first asked what he would sell it for he wouldn't even throw out a figure. He knows he's got something pretty special so he wants to know what it's worth. Since I haven't been able to find anything comparable to base a price on, I would say make an offer if you're seriously interested. I'll let him know and see what he says. I realize this is a poor way to do business but I'm just not sure what else to do. I don't have any real kind of relationship with this guy, so I feel like I need to tread lightly and not tell him what he should do. My motivation in this is to see it sold to someone who will fix it up and get it on the road, and hopefully do a build thread so I can watch the progress :) It's been sitting there deteriorating for way too long.

And unfortunately, he's only got three of those wheels. Bummer, I know.

Very cool finds. The car is rare but it is in really rough shape.

Here is my 76 Fairlady I picked up a few months ago -http://evilz.smugmug.com/Other/1976-Fairlady-Z/26073200_XmJvzH#!i=2165337982&k=kkZ4hkh

It is more complete and def not in the same shape as that car. I paid $2500 for mine and only did so because it is a Fairlady and I would be the second US owner of the car. If my car was a USDM car, it would have been a parts car. Pics of the rails and floors will be needed but this def isn't a high dollar car. If you can get it for cheap, I would be interested in a few small parts. I didn't see the JDM grill in the pics. I see USDM grill and tail lights. Also I see the door tag appears to be swapped to a USDM from JDM but I have to double check mine. The chassis code for the 76 and up RHD Fairladys are S31 - XXXXXX. Maybe it was swapped with "legal" paperwork back in the days.

Either way, crazy to find that right up the road from your place. Tell the dude he has plenty of years to live!

• Like 1
Very cool finds. The car is rare but it is in really rough shape.

Here is my 76 Fairlady I picked up a few months ago -http://evilz.smugmug.com/Other/1976-Fairlady-Z/26073200_XmJvzH#!i=2165337982&k=kkZ4hkh

It is more complete and def not in the same shape as that car. I paid $2500 for mine and only did so because it is a Fairlady and I would be the second US owner of the car. If my car was a USDM car, it would have been a parts car. Pics of the rails and floors will be needed but this def isn't a high dollar car. If you can get it for cheap, I would be interested in a few small parts. I didn't see the JDM grill in the pics. I see USDM grill and tail lights. Also I see the door tag appears to be swapped to a USDM from JDM but I have to double check mine. The chassis code for the 76 and up RHD Fairladys are S31 - XXXXXX. Maybe it was swapped with "legal" paperwork back in the days.

Either way, crazy to find that right up the road from your place. Tell the dude he has plenty of years to live!

Thanks for the info EvilC! This is extremely helpful.

Yeah, besides the grill and lights, I think the JDM mirrors and emblems have already been picked off, too. I think I remember him saying when he got it that the guy he bought it from had three others, so this was probably just a donor for those. Would the chassis code be found anywhere else beside the door tag? I'm pretty sure the engine tag had been removed or was otherwise missing, as well, so he may just be SOL on this. Lol

What parts would you be interested in? I'm long to have to go out there at least a couple of more times just to get my 510 home so I can check to see the condition (or at least confirm the existence, haha) of what you need.

I tried to get the car on Tuesday, but after about 3 hours of getting the junk out of it (it was stuffed with several complete but disassembled ford engines and transmissions, 3 trolling motors, various other odds and ends, and about 30 gallons of pine needles and other bedding for whatever family of creatures had lived there) cutting down the trees (using a chainsaw until it broke, then pulling them up or running them over with his tractor) to clear a path, his tractor died right in the dang way. The guy had a truck that might be able to move the tractor and then pull the car, but his truck was also broken down. I knew it was going to be a bit of work, especially getting the junk moved out of the car, but I had no idea it would turn into such a spectacular clusterf*ck. I'm only 31 years old, but i'm also currently disabled, so it's pretty easy for me to overwork myself and get sick, especially when doing something this exciting. (Just FYI since i brough it up - I was diagnosed with Leukemia in August of 2010 and had a bone marrow transplant in October of 2010, and I'm currently dealing with Chronic Graft-Versus-Host Disease. This is a transplant complication in which my newly transplanted immune system attacks different parts of my body because it doesn't recognize it as part of the same system, it's like the reverse of a regular transplant where your immune system doesn't recognize the donor organ. I had actually just spent another week in the hospital because of GVHD complications and only been released the Tuesday before, which probably helped spur me on to pull the trigger on finally starting this project.) I had some help that day in my 58 year old dad and my 3 and a half year old son (like I said, I underestimated the amount of headache. Lol) so needless to say, by the time the tractor died we were all pretty cranky and ready for a nap!

I had chemo yesterday in OKC and I was able to pick up some used tires, so I'll try to go out there today to pull the wheels, and then go back later today or Sunday to put them back on after I get the tires on. So if you want detailed of better pictures of any part of the Z, let me know.

And keep an eye out for a build thread! I'm about as green as they come, so I could definitely use some advice and encouragement :)

Hang in there man, hope you feel much better soon!

Next time you check the car out check the firewall in the engine bay on the drivers side. The vin should be stamped into the wall. Would be cool if you could snap a picture of that. If he is interested in parting out I can pm you a few parts and we can work out some cash for your time and shipping. If he would like the car to go to another home to save another also let me know ;-)

Will be checking for your build thread once you get the dime home!

Hang in there man, hope you feel much better soon!

Next time you check the car out check the firewall in the engine bay on the drivers side. The vin should be stamped into the wall. Would be cool if you could snap a picture of that. If he is interested in parting out I can pm you a few parts and we can work out some cash for your time and shipping. If he would like the car to go to another home to save another also let me know ;-)

Will be checking for your build thread once you get the dime home!

Thank you, sir! Should be back out tomorrow, and I'll see what I can find out.

Dude, nice find. That Z would be alot of work but for some one who had the time, that car would be worth a mint restored. What was the other car sitting beside it with eh tires on it's roof?
I don't remember exactly, but I think it was an MGB GT. He's got a couple, and a few other MGs, but he races/used to race them so I didn't inquire much. He actually took those tires and about 5 broken weedeaters off of the fairlady and set them there so I could get pictures. There's no emoticon for the face I was making.

Did you happen to see any 1960s Datsun 520-521 or Nissan Patrols on the property?

Keith

Sorry, no. There are several 1st/2nd gen Toyota Hilux but that's the only mini trucks on the property, and my 510, the fairlady and some assorted S30s are the only Datsun/Nissan vehicles.
Looks like that forest also grows mustangs and other fords! Saw a 67 fastback in the pics, along with what appears to be an early Riviera? Definitely my kind of place!

I think he said he's got 13 mustangs on the property, but they're his son's. it's really a cool place to walk around and check out. He's got a lot of stuff you don't see in the Walmart parking lot!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updates! lol

I've been under the weather and out of commission for a while, so I haven't made it back out there in several weeks (I'm not allowed to drive at all currently) so I don't have too much to update. I tried to check the vin number on the firewall but there was just too much junk in the way that i didn't feel like moving. Lol. All of the gauges are still in the dash, including the clock, but the way the car is parked the driver (right side) door doesn't have enough room to open, so the car would have to be moved in order to get the dash out to get to it. I'm sure it's still out there though, but I think someone (fellow Ratsuner) was planning on coming to take a look at it when he got some money together.

wonder if that hitch on the fairlady would work on a 510

No idea, I didn't see how it was mounted. But I'm sure whatever travesties were done to that car to put that hitch there could be done to a 510 as well.

by chance any roadsters or what might be left of any roadsters?

No, not a one..Sorry