Twin 510's...what are the chances?

I don't know why I feel the desire to share this story. It was a long time ago and I am not the same person I was when this happened, but here goes.

This is a story of being on the wrong side of the law. It was around 1991 or so and the car I was driving was a bubble flared '71 2dr 510 painted in 1965 Ford Mustang light blue. The car was resplendent with a cage and basically race suspension and with a motor that had around 175 hp.

I was on my way home from Laguna Seca and I decided to take the side trip to Santa Cruz and then down Hwy 17 home to the Bay Area. Being the hotrod, punk kid I was, I could never keep my foot out of it. I was hauling ass, grabbing gears as I passed a CHP getting onto the freeway. The second he saw me he hit the lights. Needless to say, I didn't back out of it...I pinned it and kept on going knowing that HWY 17 was a 510's playground, not conducive to the porcine handling characteristics of a Crown Vic.

Cruising around 90 mph or so, through the twistys of that wonderful stretch of road that winds it's way through the Santa Cruz mountains, I seldom, but often enough caught a glimpse of red-and-blues flashing in my rearview. 90 mph through the 45 mph turns is sketchy on worn 205/60/13's that I got as used race tires from the Skip Barber Racing School for free, but at least they were predictable and I could slide them without worrying about that "snap" oversteer that other tires like Goodyears produced. So I was able to keep far enough ahead of the black and white to not worry about a positive ID on my plates. No way was I going to back down now. I was comitted.

So as I rounded the right hander that dumps you off into the south bay, you know, that turn that has the graffiti painted rock, I passed another Ford light blue, 2 dr 510. The identical color of mine.

It didn't take long to realize what would happen to that poor, innocent fellow 510-er as I blew by him. I did wave, but I also chuckled.

To this day I wonder what happened. Did the wrong guy get cuffed-and-stuffed? Karma says I'll pay for my actions, and I probably have.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this funny but messed up.

Was that really you?

I know. I'm sorry.

That car was nothing but trouble for me. I had 24 points on my driving record because of that car (and my inability to control my right foot). My license was suspneded and revoked 3 times over...and I still kept driving and getting tickets. In CA each "driving on suspended license" ticket is worth 3 points, and I had 4 of those alone. When I finally did get around to getting my license back, I had to have a one-on-one interview with a DMV official as to why I deserved a driver's license.

In the 20 plus years since I sold that car, I have had 3 tickets.

I want to paint my 2dr that exact light blue color ..... . . what's the "FORD" color code or color name???

..... alot of Ford colors are availible in spray cans or cheap quarts/gallons

I'm pretty sure I just walked into the paint store and asked for '65 Mustang light blue. But I looked around the web just now and found one called "Acadian Blue" that looks like it.

1967-Mustang-Arcadian-Blue_zps68c527a7.j

• Like 1