SBC 307 Datsun 1200

jb1200

Ok everybody as a few might know my 13b sezied up on me several weeks back. Since then I have been research bigger options for the 1200 and I decided to go with the SBC to start off. As i begin the tear down and build  i will be taking pics to share this process with everyone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been done, but that is a lot of extra weight added to the front. Are you using it for drag, street, or? The stock A12 weighs under 200lbs, and the 13B about 100 lbs more. The all cast iron 307 weighs about the same as a similiarly equipped two bolt main 350. If you set the engine back some and use aluminum heads, water pump, intake etc, you are still about 225 lbs over your 13B swap. Food for thought...

--Craig

307??? Man that's old. Those were new when I was in highschool.

Yeah that's going to over double the engine weight and then you  need the old Powerglide auto on top of that. Just imagine a fat chick on each front fender when you'r driving this thing around.

For all the money your going to spend putting the 307 in ( even if you have engine and trans now )  why not just buy new rotor motor.??.....My wife bought a 88 RX7 gsl brand new and it was the fastest lemon ever sold so i hate, hate, hate rotories ,,,,,,,,,,but it seems to me that it would get you back hot rodding around much cheaper..

CA18det or even a KA24E... After all the fab work getting the chev to fit and finding a rear to fit you might end up being money ahead AND having a car that is still fun to drive... would probably be faster too...

• Like 1

Not sure if you're asking for advice, opinions, or just making a grand announcement about a possible future build thread.

Advice:  Banana makes a great point.  Another rotary would be the easiest and make the most sense.

Opinion:  The 307 would probably be about my last choice of SBCs.  If you must have a SBC, I think a short stroke - big bore would be a better bet.  1200s are light and suffer from traction problems with any amount of torque anyway.  For power/reliability/size/weight considerations, I'd build an LT1 based 302 hybrid.

Opinion 2:  The CA is probably the 2nd best engine for a 1200 -- right behind a good running A-series.

I really appreciate everyone's advice and comments about the future build. Tomorrow morning will be the start of day 1 of this project. My goal for this weekend is to have the engine bay completely stripped down and all unnecessary holes welded up. It has to be ready for the engine fitment next weekend.

Since then I have been research bigger options for the 1200 and I decided to go with the SBC to start off.

Please please measure the length of a 307 with the fan on and the thickness of the rad. Is it going to fit in the engine bay???? If you are going to have to cut into the firewall stop right now. This is an ill advised swap to begin with but the more you have to force this to fit the greater the chances that this will fail later when it is too too late to save the car.

What's wrong with a 4.3 V6?

What's wrong with a 4.3 V6?

Pretty much every negative aspect of the SBC only with less power.  The 4.3 was a true compromise design.  Ever seen the split pin crankshaft?  It's amazing they last as long as they do. 

If the only choice was a GM V6, I think a (Buick) 3800 would make a better choice.  Smaller, lighter, smoother, more power.

I fear for this car's safety.

I agree with datzenmike, a late 4.3 V6 with the Vortec heads would be great, and you could still access the distributor. I was considering this powerplant, and it tips the scales at about 450lbs, still about 100 less than the 307. Whatever trans you were going to use on the 307 could be used on the 4.3. It is work considering.

3800 is 60# lighter and has no distributor to worry about plus a better EFI design.  The 4.3 was either TBI or the lovely CPI.  Don't get me wrong, I cut my teeth on small blocks and like them, but I know enough about the 4.3 to not be impressed.  There are lots of better options.  Like a CA, KA, A, L, VG, rotary, Evinrude, electric motor, hamster wheel, etc.

Hey, go electric and save the planet. A neat little 2dr sedan called the "White Zombie" is running 11's in the 1/4. It runs two advanced DC motors with special controllers to optimize application of torque, which is what electric motors are all about.

@datzenmike ... there will be no cutting of the firewall. Next weekend when I receive my Chevy Motor Mounts – Rubber Insulated from Welder Series, I will butt the engine up to the firewall and from my measurements all the cutting will be up front. I will be using an electric water pump and a push style radiator fan to make clearance. But I will have to cut to make room for the crankshaft pulley. So it will be grill - slim fan - radiator - engine.

I get the feeling a 307 was laying around and basically available....

If you want advice (which I can't easily tell whether you do or not), sell or trade the 307 setup.

Then buy a datsun/nissan 4 cylinder or another 13B since it was already set up for it...

Otherwise, you're teaching a pig to dance, but still dancing with a pig...