Brake lights not working, and assorted other shakedown questions

XXL

What's the quality feel/appearance like on those offshore pieces?  Mine won't be rolling the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, but I do want the parts to fit and look decent.  If the parts are decent, I figure I can take the lazy route and just swap lenses and then pair up my old crazed and cracked lenses with the new buckets and peddle them on ebay to recoup a few bucks (or maybe not).

I guess I never answered this question, sometimes I skim these threads to fast.

The lenses I have from overseas look to be of decent quality, but I bought them local, so I looked at them first.

I have never actually tried them to see if they work, so they might be crap, but I got them for crap price.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

520 came STOCK with the pressure switch on the tee block on the firewall (looks like a oil pressure switch). Was factory even till the 70 521... then went to the switch underdash on pedal.

And that's what makes this a bit of a mystery... why it would have had both.  I suppose a PO could have added the mechanical switch, but the bracket it was mounted to sure looks stock.  It's the one with the holes in it, just to the right of the column, in the pic in post #23.  Maybe the PO added the holey piece to the painted part that was already there serving as the bump stop for the pedal arm.  It looks to be captured on there by a bolt that threads in from the back side into the welded nut on the painted bracket.  And then (I'm guessing) that bolt has a small button head that receives a rubber bump stop.  Who knows.  It's just curiosity at this point.

521 trucks are a lot more common than 520 trucks.  If I had a 520 I wanted to keep running, and needed to replace the electrical harness, or a pedal assembly, I would probably use 521 parts, instead of 520 parts.

As far as the brake light switch, I would use a mechanical pedal mounted one.  It comes on sooner.

Make sure you have a good ground from the engine to the cab.  It is not unheard of for this ground to go bad, and then the cab will try to ground through the throttle cable, and the choke cable.  This may also damage the engine room wiring harness.

While checking the grounds make sure the frame grounds to the engine, too, and make sure the bed grounds to the frame.

• 4 weeks later...
my 520 has a owners manual it has a wiring diagram in it . i can try to post it if you want ?

I can be kinda downsy with posting pictures so let me know ill try .. ha ha

Got it solved some time back using wiring diagram I mentioned in post #4, which turns out to be the same as in my owner's manual.  I scanned it, blew it up to fit on 9 sheets of paper, and taped them all together, so now I have a giant poster sized diagram to work from.  Thanks.