Rear Right Parking Brake Cable Question...

Buzzbomb

I FINALLY sourced me some parking brake cable return springs for my '80 720. I think I got 2 of the last 5 left in the United States! Nice dealership in Missouri had a couple and was nice enough to send two out at a great price..

I took the shoes off, springs, etc. I got down to the cable. I can't move that stinking cable end in or out. As a result, The spreader bar for the parking brake was not going fully to the "closed" position. I wound up putting it all back together without the cable attached to the lever thinking my cable is simply seized up due to non-use. It's been unhooked for a long time.

I had the passenger side cable detached from the balance lever and it STILL wouldn't move. Am I right here in assuming that the cable should go back and forth like the hood release cable or any sheathed cable? I just wanted to verify my suspicions before getting a new cable. 

Thanks for any input :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be able to free it up by removing it completely, and bending it back and forth.  This forces the inner cable to slide a little bit, and may break it loose.  Then hang it vertical, and spray some penetrating oil in the inner cable, where it goes into the outer cable.   Do this over a few days, repeatedly.

Then try to work it again.  If it starts to move, pull it as far one way as you can, wipe off rust, grit, and other crud, and put more penetrating oil on it.  Pull it as far the other way as you can, repeat wiping, and more penetrating oil.

Keep working it back and forth, and you might be able to free it up.

Guys, thanks a lot for the info! I really hope my cable has teflon in it :P My Dad was the PO of my truck, and honestly, the poor guy was sweating bullets trying to get that cable end into the brake lever many years ago. He just couldn't get it, though (didn't think about putting slack in the cable at the adjuster, I think :) ), so he tucked it in the slot, threw the spring in the glovebox, and it was forgotten about. I like an idiot threw the spring out. When I get it fixed, I WILL use it regularly so the same thing doesn't happen again.

At least it's not that tough to get to the cable, so it just might be worth it to take it out of there to see if I can free it up with some lubricant/jimmying. The cable casing was worn some where it goes inside the backing plate, and I actually saw silver cable in there, so it can't be all toasted. I just wasn't sure if the cable was just tough to move because it's a brake cable. It wouldn't move a millimeter with a big pair of vice grips and me pulling on it.

For reference for anybody looking for the Nissan part number for 620/720 parking brake return springs, the number is 36545-32200.