Head removal.

Brody

I'm having the hardest damn time trying to remove the head. My boss and I tried it for about two hours (he has a lot more experience with cars than I do) and we still couldn't get it off. Is there any trick to it or am I just not holding my tongue right?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you removed the rocker shaft yet?

After removing rocker and head nuts (remember to do them in order, and in stages), the Factory Service Manual says: "To facilitate breaking of the cylinder head joint, tap each side of the head with a hammer using a piece of wood interposed to take the blow. Do not use excessive force. When lifting the head a direct pull should be given so that the head is pulled evenly up the studs."

If I remember correctly there are two threaded holes.  3/8" coarse thread I think.  I can't remember exactly what I did but I had two eye bolts in my junk bolt collection that fit perfectly.  I think I used those and found a place I could carefully lever on to pull the head up.  I'd have to have the thing in front of me again.

ETA, maybe I'm thinking of removing the bearings, not the head.