better mpg?

AWSpoofwil

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the speedometer dont work, but the odometer does work. and i just dont wanna get screwed again on a tranny because with my 5 speed it will go thru all the gears when im playin with it, but when it was in the truck and i tried to put it in 5th it didnt stay in..

If the tranny is out you can remove the tailstock and tighten the mainshaft nut. This was a common problem with the early 71-B 5 speeds. The nut would back off and they would begin jumping out of 5th. Later they had a nut with a flange you could stake so it wouldn' back off. If it's loose this is likely the cause. Never hurts to take a look.

I've also heard from a few people that the stock carb is the best mileage you're gonna get with your motor too but I've also heard of great mileage with other carbs. I have an L20b with a 5 speed and 4.11 gears with the stock carb I get about 28mpg, that's combined In Town and freeway but probably mostly freeway

I've heard of people tac welding the nut after tightening so it doesn't back off again. Is that a good or a bad idea mike?

Sure. Just a tac, no more.

If you switch to a 5-speed, what else is necessary? Does you still use your old 4 speed axle? My truck has a 5-speed already, but one of my CV joints took a crap. I don't know if I need to look for a certain axle or not.

The 5 speeds a basically a 4 speed with an added over drive. Usually 12%-15% range for the trucks. If you get the proper one you won't know the difference until you find 5th.

Ask Sealik http://community.ratsun.net/user/2344-sealik/ I think you may be able to rebuild them, I don't think you can buy them any more. See what he says.

I've also heard from a few people that the stock carb is the best mileage you're gonna get with your motor too but I've also heard of great mileage with other carbs. I have an L20b with a 5 speed and 4.11 gears with the stock carb I get about 28mpg, that's combined In Town and freeway but probably mostly freeway

Stock good working carb is good for mileage. 4:11s were used on the '79 620 but with a special wide ratio 4 and 5 speed to match it. Hell the '80 720 used a 3.889 diff.