weber prob

So you have NO wires coming from the Weber? I can't remember if some Webers have an anti-dieseling solenoid. If you have a wire coming from the Weber, that is probably what it is and needs to be hooked up. As far as the wires that were hooked to the Hitachi,  you shouldn't need to worry about them. There should be a plastic connector around the ends of them so they won't short out on anything.

If you flooded the engine enough to smell gas in the oil, there is a chance the plugs are fouled enough that just wiping them off or wire brushing them won't be enough. You can take a propane torch and heat the tips up really well. I think the black stuff on the ceramic insulator down below the electrode tip is what you need to burn off.  But I'm not sure burning them off will always work. Sometimes you need new plugs. And even new or new looking plugs can be fouled badly enough to keep it from starting. I've had good looking plugs that I saved by burning off, and some I gave up and replaced. You only need 4 of them, so it isn't a huge expense. Get NGK brand even if you have to look around some to find a source.

Len

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, there's only a few thing needed.

Check it out!!!

1. Fuel: Is the fuel level correct? And not overflowing?

2. Spark: Are you getting big fat blue spark *while cranking*? Or only weak yellow spark?

3. Air: Remove the air filter when trying to start the engine

4. Compression. Give your engine a compression test. It needs at least 120 psi in all four.

Pics of the setup?????

Fuel line hooked up correctly....return line?

With the choke closed, fuel and spark....it should fire.

Not sure how well....but it should run.

..."and yes the engine ran after a head rebuild but barely for that the hitachi was straight poop"....

You sure it was the Hitachi????......not something else from installing the head????

Easier solution:  Spray some brake cleaner down the throat of the carb, see if it will start.  Don't need much.  If it does start, do a little burst every couple seconds.  If it stays running on brake cleaner, you have no spark problem, but an air problem.  Like too much or massive vacuum leak.  Or a fuel problem, as in the idle circuit is plugged, etc.

Have you checked if the idle mixture screw is set correctly. Turn it in all the way until it stops don't force it then turn it back 1.5 turns out that should get it to run. If you turn it out more than 2.5 turns to get it to run then your idle jet may be too small and the carb runs lean.

ok here's an update. got it running but is was running like poop. now it wont start at all. when is was running the lowest i could get it to idle was 1500. 1.5 turns out on the mix screw. and the dizzy was slightly advanced. now it just wont start. sprayed starter fluid down the neck and nothing. it is getting spark however. total mind truck. new spark plugs and gaped right. dizzy sparks when cap is off so thats fine. but the point gap is about .028 when it says should be at 0.20 on olddatsun.com. 

So go back to the drawing board again.

1. Fuel: Is the fuel level correct? And not overflowing? If clear, use staring fluid. That will start a dry engine long enough to run for 1 second.

2. Spark: Are you getting big fat blue spark *while cranking*? Or only weak yellow spark?

3. Air: Remove the air filter when trying to start the engine

4. Compression. You have 150 to 155 in each cylinder. Good.

Yes could be. Might also be that the coil has gone out. Or that the carb has gone bad ... or ... any number of things.

To test your theory that it has air and spark, spray a puff of starting fluid in the air cleaner. It should fire right up for a second. If not then that blows your theory.

> why wont it start?

How would we know? We don't have your vehicle in front of us.

That is starting I think. But it won't continue to run on starting fluid. In any case it means you have some spark. So probably is not a coil or distributor problem.

That leaves the carburetor. Remove the top and check the float drop. Rinse out the fuel bowl and spray the jet passages clean.

Or can that weber and put a real hitachi on.