weber prob

i just installed this 32 36 on my l20 and it just wont start. it did for 30 seconds and just stopped. then it would start just for a few seconds, i would give it some gas and it would kill it. i have googled so much and surfed ratsun to the point where i had to post this. vacuum lines are plugged accept the advanced one behind the dizzy. ANY ideas?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just installed this 32 36 on my l20 and it just wont start. it did for 30 seconds and just stopped. then it would start just for a few seconds, i would give it some gas and it would kill it. i have googled so much and surfed ratsun to the point where i had to post this. vacuum lines are plugged accept the advanced one behind the dizzy. ANY ideas?

Is the choke working?

Is the engine cold, or did it get warmed up at an idle?

Is the fuel cut off solenoid wired up?

1) Did it run before the Weber?  

2) The carb new?  Used?  That makes a difference...

3) Did you change ANYTHING ELSE other than add the Weber?  Always, always, make ONE CHANGE at a time.  Otherwise you have to put everything back the way it was, or start swapping parts out.

If Used could be the jets are all gummed up, or there's debris in the bowl blocking the jets, or the inlet strainer is full of crap, etc etc.  If new, might not be installed correctly.  If you answer #3 with "yes" then list them, because that could be the problem.

the weber is brand new, opend it yesterday. chokes working, engine is cold. no clue on the fuel cut off. but is squirting gas when pulling the throttle. it ran before with the hitachi but extremely rich and when i rebuilt the old carb and put it back on it would not run at all lol. the head was fully rebuilt. new timing chain as well. i didnt change anything. i hope i responded to all the questions haha

OK, so manual choke has no wires to connect.

When you pull the choke knob on the dashboard all the way out, ensure that the choke is closing 100%. Even if open a little bit it may not start.

Then when you crank the engine and as soon as it catches, push the choke knob in a little bit.

so i took out the spark plugs and cranked it a little to help get the gas and fumes out. what else should i do if its this flooded? 

Clean and dry off plugs...confirm they are gapped correctly

Might want to change the oil after you get it running