maltese

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome z! I want one!!!

Get one! You won't regret it...

I picked up a wheel, from a buddy, today. Gonna order up the right adapter tonight, since it came off a 240sx. Came with an old school quick release, too. Pretty stoked about this one...

11414464423_f8dc5c0e1f_z.jpg

Also, I talked to Omar, at Top End Performance. He said the car may not be straight, but if I'd like, he'll send out another brace. I told him I'd try this one on another Z first. Now I just need to find the time to get to my buddy's shop, to test it out on his car.

I just pulled the trigger on some triple weber 40's haha! This winter break is going to be awesome. My engine leaks oil bad all over the place, so plan is to pull engine change gaskets/seals on stand do carb conversion ….and not sure after that. ha!

Header.....

Nope. I'm fresh out. I paid my last one forward, to a member here. I'll ask around, though.

Ahh, alright. Just found a 6-2-1 header on another forum its pretty beat. Gonna need new paint etc. Price is gonna total to like 140 shipped. Not sure if its worth the extra cost to get a "new" one

Curious, which auto parts place do you work at?

So, I finally got the steering wheel mounted up. It came out of a 240sx, so I had to figure out a different hub adapter. I don't like how deep some of the hubs are, especially with the additional thickness of the quick disconnect I am using. Since I already had a Grant wheel installed, I opted to get a Grant to Nardi adapter, instead. The one I chose is 1" thick. When the adapter arrived, I tried to mount everything up. Turns out the adapter is slightly larger in diameter, than the Nardi hub. This caused interference with the disconnect. I installed the wheel anyway, and ordered a shim. Since the shim would add another 10mm, I also needed some longer bolts for the disconnect. I got some M5x0.8-25mm cap head allen bolts, from Fastenal. After all that fun, the wheel is finally installed, and I'm pleased. I hope the disconnect will serve as a theft deterrent, when I take the car to the big city... Now if I could just get a push button start from MSA?!

11579159553_5750a9d7d3_z.jpg

11579738706_77b5c9b846_z.jpg

I had to go to work at midnight tonight, so the floors could be waxed. It's a 1 hour drive from my house, so I'm on the road a little before 11. Driving out of the mountains for about 30 miles, into the Central Valley, then 15 miles of straight flat roads. I'm about 8 miles from work, when I feel a slight vibration from the rear tires, at 60 mph. Slow to 55 and the vibration disappears. Then I make a left onto another road, and hear a pop. The vibration gets much worse, so into the next turnout I go. After looking things over, I found three missing lugs on the right rear wheel. I grabbed some tools, stole a lug nut off the other rear wheel, and tightened it back on with the only two remaining studs. Fortunately, they were across from each other. I wouldn't recommend driving with only two lug nuts! I was able to limp the car the rest of the way to work, however. I checked our stock, and as luck would have it, we had the studs! So, on my 4 am lunch break, I put 4 new studs on that side. I robbed more lug nuts from the other wheels, so I could run all four on the new studs. I'll check them periodically, on the way home, to make sure they're tight, and the new studs have fully seated.

I snapped a pic, after I replaced one of the damaged studs...

11646150796_2c69101ed0_z.jpg

What a morning. Still trying to figure out when the rear wheels were off last?! Never had a wheel come off before, since I'm adamant about torquing things down properly. I guess there's a first time for everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Been driving the wheels off this thing. 90 mile, round trip commute, daily. I got the timing squared away, now set at 17 degrees at idle, and 38 degrees at 2500 RPM's. It runs a million times better.

Today, I decided to see how fast it would go, in 2nd gear. Set the GPS and hit the gas. All the way to 6900 RPM's. The top speed recorded on the GPS was... 78 MPH!!

Holy cow! Kind of want to gear it lower!?!?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Cars and Coffee was pretty cool, this morning. I got to park next to another '73...

12729753403_309f91c12e_z.jpg

Went for a cruise to Auberry after the meet. Lined up before the run...

12730067304_414bf83ea8_z.jpg

12731219863_f986972475_z.jpg

Stopped to take pics on the 4 lanes by Shaver Lake...

12729730073_269f6fce99_z.jpg

Was a cool event. Met some Datsun guys, and saw some ridiculously expensive cars.

• Like 1