Are the Nismo HD torsions still available?

oldskoolvws

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I'm gonna try to order them online first and see what happens. Are the 520/521/620 all the same? Is 720 torsions?

I dont know if the 521 and 620 share the same bars but that is something to look into. I believe that there were at least two different sizes of bars for the 620. SWB vs. LWB or KC vs. Standard cab?

I think i saw those size differences listed in my FSM.

I dont know if the 521 and 620 share the same bars but that is something to look into. I believe that there were at least two different sizes of bars for the 620. SWB vs. LWB or KC vs. Standard cab?

I think i saw those size differences listed in my FSM.

I think overall length is the most important factor. If the length is the same but the splines are different, you could just change the keys to match as long as they mated up properly to the lower arm.

ive never heard of an aftermarket torsion bar for the 320/521/620 framed trucks. 

i dont even think the 720 had aftermarket bars, at least for the 2wd. 4x4 720s might have had a following, but i have no idea if a 720 4x4 torsion is the same as one from a previous model. 

as we see from that NICO link, they make after market ones for a d21.. 

might work? 

anyone put a stock d21/hb torsion in a 620 or anything? 

other than the red ones for the d21/hb, the frontier is the only bars that nismo makes and aftermarket set for. hessianben has a set on his frontier. 

id love to have a stiffer set of torsions for my 620.. honestly, i dont need coilovers if i can get a stiffer set of bars. 

Placed the order. Lets see what transpires. Hopefully good things.

Quantity   Part #                      Description      List Unit Price         Price

1              M-99996-T1450      T/b Set            $250.00 $277.20    $277.20 Subtotal: $277.20 S/H: $40.19 Grand Total: $317.39

Their supposedly coming from nismoparts.com (nissanparts.cc) but we'll see. If they fail on this, that's three strike outs for them and I'll call directly as suggested above.

The setup I would love to do is a mere pipe-dream I think. Unless a complete donor pops up, piece mealing will prove to be a costly adventure. That's alright I still got a few tricks up my sleeve.

Anyone waterjet here? It would be 1/2" mild steel.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the load/tension/pound rating for the HD bars? What about stock? How much stiffer are they?

Stolen from NICO / Rev_D21:

About Aftermarket Torsion Bars:

Nismo 2 stage torsion bars are made by Sway A Way (SAW). The SAW part number for these bars is 1440. These bars have a second set of splines towards the middle of the bar itself. A lever is attached to the bar that limits the twist of the bar. Once the bar reaches a set amount of twist these levers press against the truck thus shortening the effective length of the bar which increases spring rate. You will notice that SAW # 1440 is not available in the SAW catalog. 1440 is only available through Nismo. Also note that it is the only bar to feature the lever mechanism that I described above. These bars are the actual bars that the ITT trucks used, so if you are trying to build an actual ITT based Hardbody, you will need these bars.

I took a chance on a set of SAW 1446 bars. Want to know a secret? SAW makes the bars that are sold on 4x4parts.com and for Calmini. The only differences are the color paint they used to powdercoat them. If you look at all the part numbers they all end in 1446. SAW 1446 is a one-stage torsion that lacks the second set of splines for a lever mechanism but has a spring rate that is 30% higher than stock. SAW bars are powdercoated red and are the less expensive way to go. Why pay other companies markup when you don't have to? The Bad: SAW 1446 is not what most ITT Hardbodies ran. If you are trying to build an actual ITT Hardbody you can use these but just know they lack the second stage action that the Nismos provide.

Okay, so I guess this will become the definitive NISMO 2-Stage Torsion thread. Initiailly (Friday) I only got one box. It had the torsions in it. Then on Saturday, box 2 showed up. It had the stage 2 hardware. It is clearly manufactured by Sway-A-Way and really pretty cool. So here you go:

Remember, same part number for 521 trhough 720.

img1786xk.jpg

img1787fr.jpg

img1790kp.jpg

img1789jx.jpg

img1794y.jpg

img1795a.jpg

img1803u.jpg

img1804ts.jpg

img1805pt.jpg

img1800uf.jpg

I think this one is wrong (orientation).

img1796kq.jpg

img1797pb.jpg

img1798dy.jpg

img1799ng.jpg

• Like 1