WTB: 720 stumpy 5spd with Z bolt pattern

Looking for a stumpy (26.3 inch) length 5spd transmission with the Z-series engine bolt pattern. This is going on a KA.

I believe this should be available as a 63 series transmission from the S110 (1979-1983 200sx). Edit per Datzenmike info below.

So a 71 series short tailshaft from the 720 pickup. FS5W71B I believe, reportedly from the 83-86 720 Pickup 2wd.

I'm in Sacramento, and I would prefer to find someone who has one in the NorCal or Reno area (say withing 3-4 hours drive of Sac) if possible so as to avoid shipping

Edited by Dguy210
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '80-'83 S110 had long 71Bs in them sorry. (I have one in my truck)

The shorts are in the 720 trucks. Later KCs I believe. Seacik knows. Be sure to specify a 2wd or it won't have any speedo drive in it.  

The '80-'83 S110 had long 71Bs in them sorry. (I have one in my truck)

The shorts are in the 720 trucks. Later KCs I believe. Seacik knows. Be sure to specify a 2wd or it won't have any speedo drive in it.  

I wondered about the S110, I pulled that info off the Datsun1200 site. Ok so 2wd 720 short tailshaft- got it, thanks.

If u don't find anyone I'm in fla and have one but with the extended drive tail but I do have a naps z dogleg which has the same bolt pattern

Thanks, but I can find the long tailshaft transmissions locally. I'm trying to avoid the cost of the driveshaft shortening.

And 4x4. I got mine from a KC 4x4. Won't have the speedo drive .

Mike do you know off hand if there was a 26.3in length 4spd that is more common? I'm thinking that might be a good short term solution if I can't find a 5spd.

As jrock4224 said, the 1985-86 regular cab/short box nissan 2wd 720 pickup has what you are asking for, but if you go to the wrecking yards, check all the 4wd truck transmissions for a speedo drive also, to make sure that a 2wd transmission wasn't put into the 4wd truck, sometimes that is all they could find for a replacement.

I don't think there was a short 4 speed that will connect to the napZ case, but I could be wrong, I know there were 4 speed longshafts that will.

As jrock4224 said, the 1985-86 regular cab/short box nissan 2wd 720 pickup has what you are asking for, but if you go to the wrecking yards, check all the 4wd truck transmissions for a speedo drive also, to make sure that a 2wd transmission wasn't put into the 4wd truck, sometimes that is all they could find for a replacement.

I don't think there was a short 4 speed that will connect to the napZ case, but I could be wrong, I know there were 4 speed longshafts that will.

Yep, I've been doing that as I have time, I'll hit the the local yards again this weekend. It's pretty rare to see a 720 or a 5spd Datsun of any kind in the local yards though.  I was hoping someone had one kicking around in a parts pile.

Thanks Wayno, I had wondered about the 4 spd but didn't see anything when I was looking, I guess that just won't work.

And 4x4. I got mine from a KC 4x4. Won't have the speedo drive .

i guess it wouldn't matter for me ... as i cant get the stock speedo cog out fo my 720 tranny to replace with my 521 speedo cog ...cause if i get pulled over right now the answer would be i dont know how fast i was going it was buried at 100 in this school zone....lol...phixius the other day was shocked we could do a 100 just merging into traffic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.