1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one of my favorite planes to fly, I did not wreck it landing, I put it in the ground doing several low rolls and I pushed instead of pulling on the stick, it was over in less than a second.

waynesplanesthings035.jpg

This was another favorite, I still have it, it was made out of a political sign, it got put away because I was making such low inverted passes down the runway, that the props started digging into the ground until they disintegrated and it ended up in the middle of the runway upside down, when I went over and picked it up, there were two lines of chop marks in the burlap for over 10 feet.

waynesplanesthings026.jpg

As you can see, I make my planes from scratch, as I do my datsuns, my brain is wired weird.

hahahah nice wayno ... i just crashed my micro in the parking lot today at work flying about a foot of the deck upside down and when i powered up my foam has been glued so much the thrust is inconsistent and pitched it over into the ground....maybe i should try a second set of landing gear....everything i own is electric ... plug and play and i prefer foam ... i too have built a few foam planes from scratch it is fun to fly something that was nothing only a few short days before...

valance is steel ... my first one some one used as a anchor point when tow strapping...and once that didnt work my original bumper got the same treatment... i believe i got both pieces from tdaaj....valance still needed some metal work a little welding in the corners ...and then some powdercoating .....its not perfect but by far the best option

that video is awesome and it inspired that stupid viral video for that clothing company that is only the viral shows on tv........to knife edge your plane is one thing ...to knife edge your plane with one wing well thats not much different up until u  need to level it out for landing...me personally woulda looked for some fluffly bushes to park it in or tall grass is very gentle....he did a awesome job with almost no damage....thats a big plane too ......funny thing about rc is though the bigger the easier it is to fly ....some of my the micro helicopters are impossible to fly ...quick nimble and susceptable any wind...same with planes, flying a yak 54 is for more stable then my new smaller wingspan planes...

cant reccomend te simulators enough .... there a pretty accurate in how they work ...manly its so u can learn stick movements and practice things that will normally with real rc would waste glue and money......i used to use the sim about 5 hours a week ... now hit and miss... but im so good i only had to retireve my plane from the gutter yesterday and not fully on the roof...thank god or forklifts....i got a friend thats pretty new to flying ... he constatly will fly withus then at some point yell at me or hans to take over cause he has flown to far away and cant get the plane back....lol..perfect canidate for a sim....

I agree, the bigger it is, the easier to fly, except for a few exceptions, like my F4U CORSAIR, that thing is stressfull to fly.

I wish I had taken some photos of some of the stuff I have made and flown, you would have looked at one of them and said, "that won't fly", I dug one out and took a couple photos, keep in mind it is very dusty, I flew this.

DSCN0730.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

If it is small, and doesn't have a hollow wing, it is easy to launch and fly, but difficult to get on the ground without power, I could easily fly the small electric ones in my front yard, like this edge, but putting it back on the ground without dinging it if I ran out of power was hard to do, in my front yard that is.

DSCN0723.jpg

I was known at the local field as the guy that flew upside down for 90% of the flight looking totally out of control within 50 feet of myself.

wayno we are the same guy....... we stopped flying at the club field they weren't cool with the stuff we were doing and trying ....the freaked the fuck out when we started buzzing each others head while flying simultaneously.....and laughing our asses off about it....both upside down and right side up.....those flat foamy s are fun but i agree they don't take off and land conventionally...

big thanks to skyblue 521 micheal  hooked me up with a matching ignition door lock set out of the wrecking yard.....i now carry one key

F6BE7C18-CDB2-4A34-A220-5ED3CE6B4CD0-863

so tristin scored me this center console out of a civic for my wagon .....its a two piece ... well i decided that i hate spilling my coffee all the time and or any other water filled smoking...errrr...drinkinng device in my 521.... so i thought what the heck i like the profile of this console maybe the front half would work in my 521....let me test fit  it......the countour of the floor to the console is wrong but it fits pretty nice... i am gonna go fetch one of the more common front half's from the junk yard and start grinding....the front of the console goes over a very narrow tranny tunnel...looks like fangs.... gonna do a little grindy grindy and see if  i can get it fitting a little better....the mounting brackets will be different then the mock brackets of course but for fit s sake its not to bad  i think after grinding the front down it will fit with in 1/2 inch and with carpet and jute that would fit better then my factory mazda console....pics couldnt find my brown mounting brackets so i used black .....matches my floor mats

86D5E57B-7BA6-4414-84FB-F68AE394D196-863

C72DAB61-6EA9-42F1-BCB6-0CE42EA96EE4-863

00EDD6A6-E8F2-413D-B48D-8CD0026FB280-863

5798B899-4925-4010-A91A-3060AD7440DC-863

fits nice under the front of the seat....and i wanna not go past the factory front mounts with my grinding but i taped it down so i could make sure the shift pattern would work ... reverses rubs on the inside of the edge of the console when u shift into it but not when its in gear...little grinding fix that.......even with my shrek like install the cup holders work awesome... even a les schwab paper coffee cup and riding on the snubbers could not phase my shit....off to the wrecking yard to find another.,....

I dig the console in there.  I ran to the Lynnwood yard last weekend while Brody was sleeping in, and grabbed one for the 510.  The cup holder is broken on the one that I grabbed, but those Civics show up all the damn time, so I figure I can find some more shit if I keep stopping by there.  For $6, I can't complain.  I am half tempted to get one for the truck too after seeing this.

I like the 720 console assembly in my 521KC, I do have buckets in it, so that allows me to use the box between the seats, but my work truck has the bench, so I can't use the box in it.

The 521 kingcab.

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg
The 521 work truck.
DSCN0754.jpg
They are both using the short console, as I have a shortshaft 5 speed in both, a longshaft 5 speed would allow the use of the longer console.

I like the 720 console assembly in my 521KC, I do have buckets in it, so that allows me to use the box between the seats, but my work truck has the bench, so I can't use the box in it.

The 521 kingcab.

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0753.jpg
The 521 work truck.
DSCN0754.jpg
They are both using the short console, as I have a shortshaft 5 speed in both, a longshaft 5 speed would allow the use of the longer console.

I see them to,i will say one thing looks like he breaks in to cars or something he has tools and gloves and extra shoes.lol and please please clean that truck it is so dirty.

You should see it normally, you can't see the floor for 10 months a year, yea I am not good at cleaning my vehicles, my favorite thing to say when someone tells me to wash my truck is, "why, it will get dirty".

You should see what I look like when I get in that work truck sometimes, soaked  in mud from the top of my head, all the way down to the muddy wet foot prints I leave when I walk into my house, a total pig pen.

Sometimes the customers don't want to answer their doors when I knock, I think they think I want to use their bathrooms, and they don't want me in their house.  :lol:

The specialty shoes were for the roof I got up on today, it is a fairly steep smooth tile roof, and them shoes stick real good to it.

I actually thought about cleaning it up a little before taking the photos, but it was cold out there, so I just took the photos.

I really like the consoles I have in my trucks, mostly I like the gauges and how the console holds them, the only drawback is that the heat needs to be diverted sideways when not on defrost, as it does no good to heat the back of the console, but I just use the defroster mode all the time.