CV Axle question...

CDTJ

So I'm finally making it back to my 720, now that school is out. I've picked up the pieces from not working on it, and figured out where I go from here. This involves replacing my CV axles. When I stopped, I had the front driver axle off. Now I'm getting ready to replace the new one into it, and I've run into an issue (surprise!!!).

Whatever the metal seal on the end of the shaft that hooks into the t-case is, it's wrong on the new ones. Well, not the same, at least. My old CV axle had an inverted depression, and the new one has a hump. The hump is preventing me from sliding the axle onto the t-case, as there is a bolt there in the way.

My question is - Does anyone think I could remove the new seal, and replace it with the old one? (Making sure it was sealed and clean, of course)
Does anyone know what purpose that bolt on the t-case purpose serves?

Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

This is where the bolt is that the new CV Axle conflicts with.
IMG_0594_zps807a1292.jpg

The new CV Axle with the humped portion.
IMG_0590_zps74ebdad3.jpg

The outer portion of the the old CV Axle with the recessed dimple.
IMG_0588_zps1ac7cb8b.jpg

The inside part of the old CV Axle seal. You can see that there is a gasket, but I'm thinking I could maybe save it from the new one. You can also clearly see that there are clips that you can take the seal off with.
IMG_0589_zpsc8a21745.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Sealik. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a big deal to swap the plates.

I like your set up, there. My parking lot is gravel, and I have to keep my things inside my truck. It's a PITA. I'd love to have a deck next to me, a safe place to organize my shit.

They're auto hubs, but there wasn't a specification when I bought them. Yes they were for an 86. I think the remanufacturer, Cardone, just flubbed or something. Regardless, I've already switched the plate on the one going in, and I think (read: hope) it'll be fine.

Perhaps there was some sort of detail that I missed, that would have changed it. Although, I was lucky to even find these things. Finding the axles was a nightmare, and Nissan wanted 700 dollars PER AXLE. So I will definitely do what I need to make these suckers work.

Thanks for your advice. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna ruin anything.