GOONS check in

gokiburix

2 hours ago, LS_Wagon said:

Woohoo! Going to paint your Wagon in the black Momo scheme! Going to need more paint than the jars though. 🙂 Just kidding, looking forward to seeing the mini version of your Wagon! 

Maybe later that would be a good idea thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to see about the L16 head and the fella said we had an accident. Some how he broke a cam tower? I have no idea how he did that. But anyway he said he found another head to get one off to fix mine. We will find out in the morning. I was surprised that he found one hear in town cause you never see 510's anymore around New Orleans. He was mentioning something about the lash pad adjustments. I told him to just get it together fixed and I would take care of that. I didn't want another accident. O well I'll post back tomorrow.

Edited by edekalil
  • 2 weeks later...

Well while the head saga go's on, I decided to take off the windshield wiper parts and motor to figure how to go about fixing it, what a mess

IMG_20201115_141231.jpg

Anyway ended up breaking off two threaded piece's that the nuts screw on to hold it on the car.

IMG-20201116-125252.jpg

I see there are heads on the back side of I guess is a bolt that can be removed.

Any suggestions on going about making the linkage  function again and the clip attaching the motor arm to the wiper linkage had a clip that had diseintagreated  not sure what to do when it comes to hooking it back up but I just got it all off. 

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

Patience, lots of PB Blaster, weeks of soaking in vinegar and gently coaxing things apart for weeks and de-rusting.

I got mine all apart, but here's where I started:

IMG_1202.thumb.JPG.4dfc88954f16a8db8fb481fafba349e5.JPG

Where I am at now:

IMG_0570-1.thumb.jpg.676b3b26e0ba3c62433dff703d1efae4.jpg

I was able to free up the pivots but only get one of them apart. Still working on the other one but at least it is free to rotate not rusted solid. My go to solution for removing rust is vinegar. Soaks for days or weeks but does get rid of rust and is cheap and I had a couple of gallons of it from somewhere.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Vinegar is a mild acid and works but I am less patient and use a mix of water and muriatic acid.  It works as quickly as you wish by varying the amount of acid in the mix.  I have several plastic containers with lids that I put the parts in when I want to clean them.  When clean, I wash them thoroughly and paint them before they can flash rust again.

• Like 2

Just wondering are the 3 nuts on both wipers attached to bolts because they have heads on the back side I figure I could at least replace them. I have and do the soaked in apple cider vinegar and it does work good since I'm gone all week I'm not in a hurry. And what kind of clip holds the wiper motor arm to the linkage or what will work to reattach it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright alright.

Bought a new battery last summer and debated taking it out and storing indoors for the winter when I don't drive it. If indoors it should be charged once a month, decided to leave it in and fire it up every month to charge it and warm up the engine. Yesterday was overdue but cranked over and fired right up after squirting gas into the carbs. It will fire up cold after prolonged cranking but a Windex bottle with gas in it is faster. Once it has been running it restarts on half a turn. Let it warm 20 min then shut down and put the cover back on.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...