gokiburix

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I need to give some love to the Goon tomorrow, she's running like crap again. Carb issues!

IMG_5776.jpg

Been getting all the issues fixed on a 18 year old riding mower the last 3 weeks my brother got me ( he's not very mechanical ) so I can save $120 a month now that I have grass to cut. Can't wate to drive her some more!

The Goon not the mower.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Trying to figure this motor out. It was rebuilt way back. Anyway now it’s running like crap again. No compression on cylinder 3. So back to the drawing board. Sad cause I had it working a while back. Sucks.

Poor Goon

IMG_5776.jpg

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Is it just me, or does anyone else have problems putting fuel into their wagon? 

Before I started restoring mine, the stock setup was difficult at best.  You had to fill it exceptionally slow, and I also had spills pretty regularly.   I'm thinking it could possibly be more of a California problem because our gas pumps have donkey condoms on them. (smog nozzles) 

I added an aftermarket fuel filler and still have the same problems, maybe even worse.  (and it's REALLY pissing me off)

owag1.jpg

You can see the fuel door I added above..

Anyway,  I'm going to make an access door (similar to the fuel gauge sender) and add a fuel filler under the cargo floor.  It'll feed straight down into the tank.  I'm hoping this will alleviate my fueling woes.  

My neighbor has a '71 BMW 2002, and he says they all have the same problem.  The 2002 guys switch their filler to the trunk, and my neighbor says it worked great, so I'm hoping mine improves.

My wagon is an Aussie spec model, and does NOT have all the venting and tubing the US model does, so I'm wondering if I am alone with this dilemma..  Thanks!

• Like 3

Duncan,

Really love the gas filler lid !!

Do you have any details about how you did it? I am at the very beginning of my project and would eventually like to do this - so am accumulating information as I find it.

Great looking car and you are certainly detail minded  ?

Thanks

Yeah mine is the same. I also have a slightly different fuel filler opening? As mine runs a fuel injected motor running unleaded fuel so it has a smaller hole for the nozzle. I found that if a fill up at a particular shell servo near my place it fills up like a normal car it all depends on the filler nozzle.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Duncan said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else have problems putting fuel into their wagon? 

Before I started restoring mine, the stock setup was difficult at best.  You had to fill it exceptionally slow, and I also had spills pretty regularly.   I'm thinking it could possibly be more of a California problem because our gas pumps have donkey condoms on them. (smog nozzles) 

I added an aftermarket fuel filler and still have the same problems, maybe even worse.  (and it's REALLY pissing me off)

owag1.jpg

You can see the fuel door I added above..

Anyway,  I'm going to make an access door (similar to the fuel gauge sender) and add a fuel filler under the cargo floor.  It'll feed straight down into the tank.  I'm hoping this will alleviate my fueling woes.  

My neighbor has a '71 BMW 2002, and he says they all have the same problem.  The 2002 guys switch their filler to the trunk, and my neighbor says it worked great, so I'm hoping mine improves.

My wagon is an Aussie spec model, and does NOT have all the venting and tubing the US model does, so I'm wondering if I am alone with this dilemma..  Thanks!

Mark they just suck, and yes the vapor line is an issue. I pull the vapor line back when filling and go half throttle. If not yes it will spill out. It’s a piss poor design. But filling under the cargo mat in the car, I think it’s a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Mark.

You are not alone. But I think your right it's a Calif problem. When I was in Arizona I put gas in without any issues. And your idea to fill from inside is not a terrible idea. I did it for quite a while before I put in the wood floor.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I've never heard anyone mention the fuel problem, so I'm glad to know it's not just me. 

Rosso, the fuel door is an aftermarket piece from O'Hagen Street Rods.  You have to cut the existing filler assembly out of the quarter panel and weld the new one in.  You will probably have to ditch the molded rubber hose from the filler neck to the tank.  It's quite a bit of body and fab work.

I don't recommend the one I used.  It's flimsy, and I should have looked it more critically before I went to all the trouble.  If I had to do it over, I would cut one out of a donor car.  The oem units are much better.  I can't imagine someone using one of these in a high dollar show car, but people do...

been doing a bunch of work on my '70 Goon.  It has been sitting for a year or so, due to it needing a bunch of front suspension work,among other things.  my 521 had taken all my time and money.  I will update my thread on the wagon soon, but here's a picture for now.  reassembly is still underway. 

20181119_170629.jpg

• Like 9

Well i'm sad about my motor so I'll just have drive the other two sedans for now. And with it getting cold down here doesn't make me want to do much outside. Anyway I'll have to do some thinking on the subject of my motor. So when I'm off again in a couple of weeks I'll have to make a plan or do some guitar work in the warm inside of the building that way I can catch up on that. But I thought I was doing good by buying some battery tiedowns but being in hast they were to wide. So off to hardware store for some 1 inch wide by 1/4 inch thick aluminum bar stock and some threded rod to make my own.ill post oics here in a couple weeks when I get them done.

1 hour ago, edekalil said:

Cleaned up the plugs and cranked the Goon up and took her for a ride. Seems to run ok but still gotta check the compression. 

url=https://postimg.cc/Sjdq6np3]IMG-20181202-121712.jpg[/url]

Vid of running.

https://youtu.be/wlzjoEKIlm4

Eddie, your motor has a dead cylinder in that video...... you mentioned compression...yep check that first ?

130 to 150 good used, more important is a close balance between the four. Adjust the valves before you chk.

28 minutes ago, Rays74 said:

Eddie, your motor has a dead cylinder in that video...... you mentioned compression...yep check that first ?

130 to 150 good used, more important is a close balance between the four. Adjust the valves before you chk.

Thank you it had no compression on 3rd cylinder when I last read it. I had rebuit the motor way back it didn't have a lot of miles on it but I had taken it out way way back after putting it in for some reason but not loss of compression I thought it was a ways back but what the heck. I guess I'll have to pull the head off and figure it out. Might have a burnt valve.

Edited by edekalil

I would get your engine leakdown tested before doing anything...... then more than likely yeah pull that head (you DID check the valve lash right? Do it now).

You need a direction when chasing this low compression prob and 30min with a pressure tester will tell you

• Like 1

I agree with Ed. Set/check the valve lash. A tight valve may not seal the cylinder properly and it will have reduced output. It even sounds off.

Could be the rocker has jumped off the post. Easy fix.

Could also be a plug wire off or a plug that's gap was bridged with a piece of carbon. Use caution, but pull each wire off one at a time. The one that produces the least change in running is suspect.

Worst case is...

1/ a burned exhaust valve or a cracked one.

2/ blown or blowing head gasket.

• Like 1

I'm off this next week so I plan to get the Goon back to the building and put a Sedan back at the house. I checked the valve lash and it seemed to be fine. I believe while it was in use after the rebuild at some point I did end up with a burnt valve,I'll try to locate it to post an oic. I had it fixed ( now having several 510's and a lot of time passed I'm not exactly sure whitch motor it may have been but I believe it was this one). I will check the compression and valve lash again before I remove the head. Al least I found all the tools I need to get the head off. My guess is maybe I have anouther burnt valve because for some reason I did take it out for some reason. Next week the fun begins. I'm not getting any water  or oil mixing up anywhere.

Edited by edekalil
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...