Alot of super sick toys for 1200's just click and have your g's ready

JohnVander

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the more i get into datsuns, the less i could justify spending so much money on an A motor.   dont get me wrong, i love my A series but this stuff is so expensive, when you could spend less to fit an ka24 in and get a motor that is beyond comparison.  

i like the valve cover alot though,  too bad it says p-road and not nissan or datsun.  :P

Because RATSUN we don't like to spend $$$ when $ will get better performance. RATSUN is doers, not posers.

I built an A12... Guess I'm a poser. I would never put a KA in anything I own. That's partially because I've been building 240sx's for over a decade and we use them for paper weights or avant-garde lawn art. Also, performance is a relative term. Adding a 120 whp KA boat anchor to the front of a nimble car to me is a performance hindrance rather than upgrade. Maybe a difference in priorities, but I like to change direction quickly.

• Like 1
I built an A12... Guess I'm a poser.

Don't know about "poser", but an A14 or A15 might have been a smarter investment.   ;)

Adding a 120 whp KA boat anchor to the front of a nimble car to me is a performance hindrance rather than upgrade. Maybe a difference in priorities, but I like to change direction quickly.

Plenty of KA-equipped Datsuns change directly quickly. It's a matter of retuning the suspension for the heavier engine, and shifting weight to the rear to maintain a better balance. It's not impossible, or even terribly difficult. But they are fun with an A-series too.  ^_^

FWIW, most folks I know use the KA for it's wall of torque, not it's "adequate" horsepower.  :thumbup:

Don't know about "poser", but an A14 or A15 might have been a smarter investment.   ;)

Plenty of KA-equipped Datsuns change directly quickly. It's a matter of retuning the suspension for the heavier engine, and shifting weight to the rear to maintain a better balance. It's not impossible, or even terribly difficult. But they are fun with an A-series too.  ^_^

FWIW, most folks I know use the KA for it's wall of torque, not it's "adequate" horsepower.  :thumbup:

I agree on the a14/15. We once weighed a KA24DE out of an s14 Dry it was 388.7 lbs. When I weighed my A12 dry it was 190.8. My Dad always told me when performance is a factor its always cheaper to make power than it is to shave weight (safely).

We once weighed a KA24DE out of an s14 Dry it was 388.7 lbs.

Sound about right. Mine was near that and I think we eventually got it down to around 320-330. Carbureting could save a few more pounds. Still heavy. But not much heavier than other Nissan OHC engines.

A-series engines being an OHV pushrod design, they are inherently lighter, and have their weight lower down.  :thumbup:

My Dad always told me when performance is a factor its always cheaper to make power than it is to shave weight (safely).

Can't say I agree, but I'm no expert. A lot of weight savings are free. 

Sound about right. Mine was near that and I think we eventually got it down to around 320-330. Carbureting could save a few more pounds. Still heavy. But not much heavier than other Nissan OHC engines.

A-series engines being an OHV pushrod design, they are inherently lighter, and have their weight lower down.  :thumbup:

Can't say I agree, but I'm no expert. A lot of weight savings are free. 

Gutting the interior saved me just less than 35 lbs. I never had a spare so I have no clue what that would save but if you literally remove everything interior/comfort related to the car you loose less than 50 lbs I would imagine, you can shave weight like that by going on a diet... everything after that is $$$.

Gutting the interior saved me just less than 35 lbs. I never had a spare so I have no clue what that would save but if you literally remove everything interior/comfort related to the car you loose less than 50 lbs I would imagine, you can shave weight like that by going on a diet... everything after that is $$$.

Spare is another 30-35 mounds, jack and tools another 5+, and (if you're willing to get serious) window regulators and door glass another 15+, carpet and sound deadening another 30-40, headliner 8-10, but it really depends on the car. You can shave a good bit of weight with interior removal in a 510/Z, but much less so in a 1200 (EVERYTHING in it is lighter).  

But for less than $1500 I could shave 350+ pounds out of my 210. If you follow the "10 pounds = one horsepower" rule (specious at best), I don't think I could add real solid reliable 35-40hp to an A14 for that. 

But I don't want to fight about it, just a difference of opinion.  :thumbup: