Help. Need Distributor Base for L16 Engine

I have a 1971 Datsun Pickup and just finished rebuilding the stock L16 engine only to discover the distributor wobbles when it runs. Apparently the distributor base is worn out. Other than having a new one machined is there anyone out there with one available they would sell me?

Thanks much.

Dan Cookson

daniel.cookson@gmail.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wobbles???

the pedastal holds the dizzy down. if dizzy wiggles I assume the bushing is worn out INSIDE thus cause a popping/ making it look like a carb or a bad condensor.

Its almost ez just to get another l16 dizzy from a junk pile somebody have.

all L16 dizzy are the same so it should drop right in and the rotor point in the same dircection.

If you liked close I would give you one.

I cant see how the BASE is worn out as its a tight fit to thouse inner dizzy housing.

Thanks guys. The base doesn't wobble the distributor wobbles when it runs. Not much but it is noticeable. I tightened it down to about 15 lbs torque. After removing the base from the engine (and holding it in my hands) and fitting the distributor inside the base is does move about like the inside of the base is worn. It certainly is not a snug fit. I have a new dual point distributor so I am positive the issue is not with the distributor.  I went to a local salvage yard here in San Diego and found a 1976 620 truck with a L20 engine, removed the dizy and base and brought it home. This is a different distributor and base from my engine. I can get my engine to run, the distributor does not wobble, (and is a snug fit when testing) but won't bolt up as the base is a different configuration and the bolt fittings are all wrong.  I am left with the conclusion the inside of my distributor base is worn. 

This is a mystery to me as the truck only shows 50K miles. I tore the engine apart and the crank was stock - its never been turned! It is possible the previous owner replaced the old crank with a new one, but I really don't know.

This is a picture of my distributor base that I need to replace. Any help you guys can provide would be welcomed.

Dan

OddSpindleLocation_zps401bfd22.jpg

found a 1976 620 truck with a L20 engine, removed the dizy and base and brought it home.

if you put the L20 dizzy with matching base it should fit just fine(together as a unit). put the motor on TDC and rotorshould point on #1 plug wire or you will assign it #1 plug wire. then go 1 3 4 2 counter clock wise fire order.

l16 BASE ONLY WORKS WITH THE l16 DIZZY AND TIMMING PLATE . DO NOT MISMATCH PARTS

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.