WTB: Diesel tranny, 320, 1978 620.

I am really needing a tranny for a CD17 or SD22 diesel. It must be for a RWD. I have a front wheel drive tranny but it won't work for what I need.

I am also looking for a 1978 620. This is just kind of a for fun thing. I have atleast one of every year from 1973-1979 but am missing a 1978.

I am looking for a 320 with a title. I do not care what kind of shape it is in because I do body work. Really doesn't even need engine or tranny but all of that would be ok aswell. I don't want something so terribly expensive I will have 20K into it to fix( by starting out with a high price for the base truck).

I do alot of trading so if you do maybe we can work a deal. If not shoot me a price and we will go from there. I can be reached at redneck_rolemodel@hotmail.com and thanks for your time. I will put my location on here as that may help as well. I am in Winchester Idaho.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The diesel SD22 and SD25 only came with 5 speeds (no automatics or 4 speeds) and never in a 4x4. It had a low 3.592 first gear, same as all 4x4s but it's the front case half that makes it fit a diesel. With the front case diesel pattern you could fit it to a 4 speed or any other 71B 5 speed with a 3.321 (first) mid ratio, or even a 280zx with 3.063 (first) close ratio 5 speed.

There is a way to fit an automatic to the SD if interested.

I am really needing a tranny for a CD17 or SD22 diesel. It must be for a RWD. I have a front wheel drive tranny but it won't work for what I need.

looking for a 1978 620. .

got a 78 620 standard cab w/ auto, pm me for my # if interested. I'm in Clarkston Wa. 

a 4 spd is ok. 

have a 4 speed also that I'm willing to sell.  pm me for my # if interested. I'm in Clarkston Wa. 

So to break this down into simplest terms... I can take a Zcar 5 spd and a SD22 bellhousing, unbolt the Z car bell housing and bolt on the SD22 bellhousing and I will have a 5 spd tranny for a SD22. If so that is too easy and I appreciate the help. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Yes.

Any F4W71B 4 speed from '73 up or FS5W71B 5 speed from 280z or zx, 810/Maxima/620 or 720 truck, 80-83 S110, '84-'86 S12 .... all will take the SD front case and convert for use on a diesel. Only the 720 came in two lengths. The short 26" won't fit your vehicle without lengthening the driveshaft. All others are 31.5" and will work.

If all you can get are the later FS5W71C 5 speeds it will work on them as well with some small mods. Drive shaft will definitely need shortening.

I put this article together to explain how to make a short 5 speed for the 521, but it will work with any 720 5 speed, any front case that came on a 720, if you have the front case of a SD22/25 diesel transmission, you can put any factory 720 manual transmission into that case, 4 spd, 5 spd, shortshaft, and a longshaft, as far as I know, there are also other car transmissions that will also fit the case, see datzenmikes post above.

Here is the link to my article.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

The 71B 4 and 5 speeds have lots in common... and a few oddities too. I have a '79 zx 5 speed but it had a crappy long throw shifter so I swapped the tailstock from an '85 SD25 diesel onto it. This gave me two things a short shift (with the proper shifter) and a reverse check sleeve. An ingenious little add on Nissan put in the later transmissions to prevent accidentally shifting downward from 5th into reverse. It can only go into reverse after being shifted into the neutral gate.

Is a CD17 engine the same bolt pattern as the SD22?

Do you need a whole transmission with bellhousing or just a gearbox? You can put about any FS5W71B transmission(like from a Z car) into an SD22 bellhousing.

I am also curious about the CD17 transmission pattern, is it the same as a SD pattern, L, Z, an A block pattern, or does it have a pattern of it's own.

I have never really looked at that engine before other than a glance to confirm it was diesel.

Fact is, it is such a small engine, that everything I have except maybe the roadster would be to heavy/big for that engine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.