Cheap paint options

Silver04rs

Ive been searching around quite a bit on here and havent come up with the ansewer that Im looking for.

Originally I was wanting to get someone to do my body work, paint my car and all that good stuff but after thinking about it I bought my 510 to learn how to do that stuff on. Im looking to do this kinda cheep so I dont want to buy a gian compressor and a amazing paint gun but at the same time I dont want to waste my money on complete crap

So basically I need a decent comperssor, a paint gun and a some tools for working the body.

I plan on hitting CL for the compressor but wasnt sure how many gallon tank I need for painting and also to use with an orbital. I just dont want to have it die out without being able to paint a full pannel or some BS like that

Thanks much

Travis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with a shit gun and compressor with no dryer you can get good results. Just be prepared to break your ass sanding and polishing.

To buy all quality tools and save yourself some trouble you may as well just pay someone to do it for you. Cheaper and easier.  

The cfm and psi are more important the tank volume. I painted my 72 with a 2.5 gallon craftsman lol. 
l_f5e8dcb9341cbfbc414c845479466298.jpg

The 73 I'm not even going to bother. Time to experiment with vinyl. 

• Like 1

D/A sanders, and longboards use a ton of air. Not pressure, but volume. And the air has to be dry for the paint gun. You dont want one that is 1 piece motor and pump. Most of those dont have oil in the pump, and they have plastic pistons. And they are LOUD!

Find someone who paints cars and help them do a few, then have them help you with yours. That way you learn the process and bybass the expense. I worked in a bodyshop in my 20's for about $5.00 an hour just to get some cars painted. Do all the prep work and buy a painter a fifth of booze to spray it. They turn out way better when they are sprayed in a booth.

• Like 1
So basically I need a decent comperssor, a paint gun and a some tools for working the body.

Thanks much

Travis

By the time you finally find and buy the compressor, air moisture separator, paint gun and tools you could have driven to your local 1 Day Auto shop and have the job done for less than you would have spent.

I agree with MikeRL411. Those shops can spray well. As long as you do a real good prep job, and detrim the car before you drop off. I would pay a little extra for added clear cote so there is enough to do a nice color sand and polish to finish.

By the time you finally find and buy the compressor, air moisture separator, paint gun and tools you could have driven to your local 1 Day Auto shop and have the job done for less than you would have spent.

Agreed. Kinda like buying a fishing boat so you can eat seafood. Bodywork is miserably dusty. Beer is the only thing that washes it down. If you are going to do a lifetime of cars, it's worth the investment. One car , not so much.

Many years ago I had my [then] BMW 2002 painted by 1 Day in metalic silver.  Now there's a challenge!  It looked like a factory paint job and when I sold it I had to show the work order to convince the buyer that it wasn't the factory paint.  Yes, get all the trim pieces and the window wipers and outside mirrors off before droping the vehicle off.  It sure as hell beats paint lines where the tape was applied.  For the hell of it I removed the bumpers also.  No excuses for "I couldn't reach that spot".  As a bonus you get whatever paint they didn't use as touchup.

Believe it or not, I have heard a lot of good things about the harbor freight hvlp guns. If you find the coupon that comes around every few months they are about $15. I bought one but still haven't used it...

But I have also had a few cars done by maaco and as long as you pull all the trim and don't let them do any body work it can turn out nice.

With maaco the prob isnt so much end result so much as how long it will last

Most of the Budget places also use ( or used to ) synthetic enamel, instead of acrylic or urathane. It takes forever to cure. As mentioned by others, strip the brightwork, and do the prep. Then make sure your getting good quality paint.

like already stated, its all about that prep work! dudes are pulling off great looking paint jobs with rattle cans and some with even house paint and a roller. if youre down to diy, expand your search to google and be amazed

With maaco the prob isnt so much end result so much as how long it will last

True, they do offer upgraded paint options though. I had a galaxie done with their upgraded single stage paint and it held up for years till I sold it. I later had them do an Infiniti with the cheap stuff and I had tiny bubbles come through in about a year.

I don't know what paint options they have these days but stay away from the budget line.

True, they do offer upgraded paint options though. I had a galaxie done with their upgraded single stage paint and it held up for years till I sold it. I later had them do an Infiniti with the cheap stuff and I had tiny bubbles come through in about a year.

I don't know what paint options they have these days but stay away from the budget line.

The tiny bubbles were more than likely from moisture in the air supply to the gun. I had that happen too.

Tiny bubbles due to moisture would be from day one. Like literally bubbles in the paint or top coat. 
With poly clear you can get bubbles just laying a coat too thick even with no moisture. 

Unless I'm mistaken he means the paint bubbling up. Since it took a year to happen. Which is usually shit prep or poor quality products. 

All this shit is why I dont have a shop anymore lol. People dont want to pay for a good paint job (or any job really) and then they want to complain after cheaping out. Just cant win.... 
Not referring to anyone here just saying its a tight rope to walk.

What would you like to know? I'll just type a bunch of random shit I think will help with BASIC paint jobs. Anyone who wants color change, or flake or w/e special stuff should in my honest opinion pay someone because there is way more to the job...

Was a craftsmen 2.5, a trick I use when forced to use a grassroots set up is to crack the pressure release valve. It keeps enough moisture out of the line usually. If there is still an issue after that step I used to rig up an inline canister before the gun big enough to fit a roll of toilet paper with a regular line filter after lol. You go through a roll every few min but w/e it works and I'm proud of it lmao. 

Some people wet the ground to keep dust down. I'm one of them. There is a downs side to that though, if it's hot the evaporation can fuck wit the paint. You have to weight it out really...

Lay many light coats, cut and buff, done. Careful of burn through. 
If you fuck something up read the paint specs to see how long you have to wait before you can wet sand, then do that and lay more coats. 

With that Z I wanted a satin black so besides picking the right paint I made the very last coat a dust coat. It helps achieve that satin look. 

Ya def be thorough like Eric says. Same with the de-greaser too, hit EVERYTHING with it. Nothing sucks more then laying paint after so much prep and watching it come up because of contamination.