any high rpm/hp 1200's out there?

62 bugzilla

When I was 16 my engine builder (to this day) and I'm dating myself but this is 26 years ago he built a 1200 datsun for a shop car to drive around and get parts and drop off stuff. It's wasn't the best looking car since it had dents and a poor paint job and the interior was a wreck since the passenger seat was removed along with the rear one so he could carry parts in it and just throw them inside. The one thing it did have was a built motor and since he is a world class engine builder he never does anything halfway and built it like any race engine build. He would do 9 to 10k rpm clutch sidesteps in front of the house upon leaving all the time. If I remember right it made around 150 hp and the only problem it had was breaking ujoints and spitting out the drive shaft in the street which happened more than once. Just seeing if anyone else has had sucess in building up one of these since I think most people change the engine out in order to make a performance machine instead?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying it's unwise. It's absolutely cool to get the most out of something and in a race car you are often limited by engine size and stock block etc. But the more power you wring out of it the harder it is on parts. If you race you would rebuild every season and have a spare motor. Not something you should do on a street car.

I don't think he spent alot of money on it just more labor and know how but I do agree in the engine swap for more reliable hp make perfect sense. I have to admit though the sound of that thing singing those rpm's was something you don't forget. :thumbup:

Indeed, but you should at least start with an A14 bottom.  :thumbup:

You don't need to "swap the engine out" to make it high rpm. The stock A12 engine can rev to 8500 RPM with a change of valve springs and a larger carburetor. It won't make much HP unless you change the instake, head and exhaust to larger sizes.

A 10,000 RPM motor costs a lot of money, as you are fighting crankcase pressure and oil cavitation.