A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

720s seem tohave a bit more space than  a 620. Me being 6'1" and 260lbs ... in a 620 ... is ... fascinating, to say the least.

Inside cabin size is fine for me even in early 520s..  I was only talking about the high gearing as 60-65 for 2+ hours with a 4speed was rather pleasant really,,,,,,,,, well except it was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock all the way there and back.

. I am buying a ka this weekend is it hard to do the swap I've never done anything like this

Ohhhh.... wow. ok... Answer these questions:

Do you have a shop space to work? 

Do you live in a house, or apartments / roommates?

Do you have tools?

Do you have cash?

Do you have wiring experience?

Can you read / understand wiring diagrams?

Can you fabricate? (For transmission crossmember)

....if you answered No to any of those questions, i would wait until they're all a YES!

Is the A10 your daily driver? If so, I would not even begin to think about doing it, tbh.

I don't mean to be a dick at all, but I thought that putting in a KA was going to be fast, simple, and ready to be on the road the following week. Turns out it took 5 months.

You will need a few things to do this swap, my next comment will give you a quick rundown of what you'll need to do.

• Like 1

Ohhhh.... wow. ok... Answer these questions:

Do you have a shop space to work? 

Do you live in a house, or apartments / roommates?

Do you have tools?

Do you have cash?

Do you have wiring experience?

Can you read / understand wiring diagrams?

Can you fabricate? (For transmission crossmember)

Is the A10 your daily driver? If so, I would not even begin to think about doing it, tbh.

....if you answered No to any of those questions, i would wait until they're all a YES!

I don't mean to be a dick at all, but I thought that putting in a KA was going to be fast, simple, and ready to be on the road the following week. Turns out it took 5 months.

You will need a few things to do this swap, my next comment will give you a quick rundown of what you'll need to do.

I have a shop and my own house I got some cash and I got tools I use to wire up cop cars and no I got other cars to drive your not being a dick straight forward that's what I wanna hear
  • Like 1

I won't spoon feed you, as I don't want to take too much time. I could talk about the KA swap for days.... but I will definitely help you. Nobody really helped me when I did this, except a big thanks to Bananahamuck and Datzenmike for telling me what parts fit with what parts and lengths and dimensions of various parts.

Anywhoo.......... wow, where to start?

Ask me questions if anything is unclear. After all, it's hard to explain things over a forum.

Donor car.... 240sx I assume?

You'll need the KA engine, transmission, motor mounts, radiator, exhaust down pipe (including the headers and pipe after headers), engine harness and ecu. That is all you need from your donor car.

People get a little confused when you use the term mounts, so... you need these things:

5IisSoyl.jpg

They will bolt directly to your engine crossmember... after you remove your engine. The engine will be close to the fire wall, but it will fit.

Aftermarket items...

It's your choice with what you'll want to buy, and it may vary with a few things (ie, fuel pump.. if you're already fuel injected with Z20 engine...)

Walbro 255lph inline / external fuel pump

Radiator (your choice. stock s13 works fine)

intake piping

air filter

push / pull electric fan

Installation...

After the L20 / Z20 has been removed, take the time to clean up the KA and replace any necessary gaskets, seals, or hoses. it's very easy to work on while it's out of the car. At this time, be sure all of the vacuum lines going from the rear of the engine to the throttle body are connected. if they are not you can easily find diagrams online.

FYI, it's easiest to remove the L/Z from the car while the engine and trans are still connected. 

Next, remove those (shitty) motor mounts and mail them to Flatcat... I think he's (still) looking for some.  :poke:

Bolt the S13 mounts to the engine crossmember. Careful! - there is a small alignment dowel on the rear of the mounts that needs to mate up with the horns on the crossmember. I forget if the mounts are directional, though.... ie, left goes on left, right on the right side -- or if they're interchangeable?

Guess what?

Ka is ready to go in.

At this point (after KA is clean / sealed / parts replaced, etc...) connect KA and it's tranny, if not already. Be sure to remove the stick shift.

There are x6 12mm bolt holding it down. If it's stuck on there, be careful... they use some nice FIPG to seal it. gently tap it. Careful, it's aluminum. 

Drain the transmission, or you will make a mess of 2.4QTS of 90w all over your floor.

Lift the engine and transmission as a whole unit, allowing the tranmission to point toward the floor, as if you were trying to stand the engine and trans on end, make sense?

Ok, this is where it get's tricky.....

-jack up the front of the A10.

-displace the sway bar (just pop off the caps, the end links can remain bolted. "sag" the sway bar down.) - careful, pay attention to the bushing caps, they're directional..... x2 17mm nuts, and x2 17mm bolts.

-slide the trans down between firewall and engine crossmember alternating from lowering the engine/trans and the pushing it back, visa versa, basically stuffing it in...

now, when the engine get very close to the mounts and looks like it might seat, have a friend get in the driver's seat and wrap a strap or rope around the tail of the trans. What we're trying to do here is level the engine and transmission so the engine will seat onto the mounts. once the engine is on the mounts, place a nut on the stud of the mount. DON'T tighten yet, only place them on. 

- place a floor jack under tail housing of trans and lift until it's level.

YOU MUST CUT BACK THE SHIFTER HOLE. I can't say how much, really... but when you see... you'll realize it's kind of alot!

- now install tranny cross member -->> this is a custome  fabricated part. You or someone must fab this piece up... I reckon you could use another A10's crossmember, but I had no luck.... Talk to Banahamuck on this one, he's better with the wagons than I am.

- after trans xmember is installed, be sure engine is sitting level and straight. 

- measure for your new driveline like this.....

Link: CLICK "One Piece Drive Shaft" http://www.drivelinesnw.com/measure/ 

Now..............

Wiring... Ohhhhh, wiring. Seems to be what hangs everyone up. 

Make it simple? Contact user Icehouse. He makes a little control module that emulates the original junction block from the KA's donor car.

Here's a hint, it's only 11 wires and 3 relays to make a KA run. Even less for a single cam. You can do it. I did. a case of beer and 2 hours later my KA was running.

We'll touch on that later.

Your turn to talk.  I'm tired of typing haha!

• Like 1

No big deal at all. Nobody else has a KA swapped A10... We need some more!

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have. I do plan on making a writeup in the future to be very clear, but... that's for another time.

• Like 1

No big deal at all. Nobody else has a KA swapped A10... We need some more!

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have. I do plan on making a writeup in the future to be very clear, but... that's for another time.

well I hope it all goes pretty good and I hope I don't gotta bug you I'm sure its gonna take a bit to do so I'm def not in no rush I wanna do everything the correct and nice way again thanks a bunch for the info

Lol. 

Not everyone knows what FIPG is. 

Doh! I forget sometimes.....

FIPG aka Fippage = Form In Place Gasket. It's Toyota's name for theyre gasket maker lol.

Flatcat and I are Toyota techs, he got the joke.

Btw, how about Those E0G recalls? Seems like the only thing I can make money on this time of year are the E0L, E0M, and E0G recalls.

Edit: Why am I here? Shouldn't I be over at Toyotanation.com ? hahahaha

I wouldn't really say the "right" tranny, I would say more like the smaller, harder to find, easier to break tranny...

Or maybe to make it easier, the "can't go WAAAAhuAAAAAAAaaernAAAAaaaa" tranny.

It's the right one when you do it right and don't cut up the tunnel.

But even you crack vtec with the 240SX tranny, you'll break the the rearend which is waaaay harder to find than any nissan tranny