A10's U-nite !!!!

Within 12 months , 1978/79, there were some subtle changes made to the A10. These are what we refer to as mkII

Changes included

- bumpers now had rubber over riders and end caps

datsun-1_zps4b877852.jpg

There was an infill trim panel between bumper and body both at front and rear.

datsun_140j_zps7742833d.jpg

140j_zpse4ac7a81.jpg

Rear taillights were same as mkI but bumpers changed

DatsunStanzaPA10001_zps51972312.jpg

24192fm_20_zpsdaab9f52.jpg

-there was a side plastic/rubber trim that was fitted from factory starting from front fender (midway) and all the way to rear end

datsun8_zps95cfead3.jpg

3262718_zps22ff485e.jpg

-seats were now in velour and carpets were more plush 

3262725_zps79f8f2bc.jpg

datsun5-1_zpsffc9ab60.jpg

We are now approaching the 80's and you can see the "luxury" upgrades compared to the mid 70's cars

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then came the not so subtle alterations. mkIII ( 1981 onwards ?)

img022_zps1866365d.jpg

Front end was redesigned with new grill and single rectangular headlight

6119941630_ccf1cff027_o_zpsd5a3555c.jpg

Rear tail lights lost the chrome surrounds and are now fairly flat and un-interesting looking ?

8170568188_bd1aaac925_o_zpsdc9bfaaf.jpg

Bumper got changed, again ! Now they had a rubber trim going across the top length of the bar and also were more squarer in shape (park bench?)

8170568188_bd1aaac925_o_zpsdc9bfaaf.jpg

There was a rubber trim fitted at bottom half of the car (yuk)

The emblems changed from metal/plastic chrome effect to dull plastic now badged Datsun/Nissan Violet and no longer Datsun 140j/160j

The earlier cars had a 3 pod round instrument cluster; this was now replaced by a single glass/perspex rectangular cluster that housed the dials

And the above are only changes to the sedans :geek:

Hmm, looks like the Aussies kept the old style dash with the later style headlights?  Or maybe someone switched parts around.  US, there's a BIG difference between '79 and 80.

1978 ('79 is similar).  Factory tach was a fairly rare option in 78-79.

510dash.JPG

80-81 gauges (full gauges and tach were standard):

81Wagon02.JPG

It's possible to put the '80-81 tach and speedometer into the '78-79 cluster, though the idiot lights aren't in the right places except the Charge light.  There's no oil light in a 80-81, and the brake light is in that position.  So, on my '78 Wagon the light marked Brake is actually the oil light, and the brake light makes the "4" in the tach glow brighter.  The 80-81 gauges are lit through the gauge faces, which are plastic, so the numbers "glow" much like most more modern dashes.  The 78-79 have metal faces and use reflected light like all prior Datsuns, and are harder to read.

The first picture show the early type of dash & instrument cluster that was fitted to the mkI and mkII versions.

When the facelifted to the rectangular single headlight, the dash /instrument cluster also got upgraded to that shown in pic 2 above.

And here is mine,started life as a MkIII and now as close as possible to a MKI. Brings a smile every time I drive it...

utf-8BSGlsbGluZ2Rvbi0yMDEyMDcwMS0wMDA4NS

Its a blast to drive B) sooo much fun!

utf-8BSGlsbGluZ2Rvbi0yMDEyMDYxOS0wMDA1NC

Dam this is nice I don't think the us models ever had those little bumper would love to have a set for my hla10
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll unite. I got one on Saturday. 2nd one I've owned. No build yet, but thought I would add to our growing numbers. We are kinda hard to find. We do not fit in with the 610/710 sub-forum, we do not fit with the 510 forum (even though badged a 510 - no one considers this car a 510) 

anyway: photo2.jpg

614C3359-1AB8-426A-8CAD-C61210D35EAA_zps

:thumbup:

Getting a muffler and new tires as I type this. (amazing tread left on the 13", but dry rotted to where I do not trust 'em) 

Well, I'll unite. I got one on Saturday. 2nd one I've owned. No build yet, but thought I would add to our growing numbers. We are kinda hard to find. We do not fit in with the 610/710 sub-forum, we do not fit with the 510 forum (even though badged a 510 - no one considers this car a 510)

anyway: photo2.jpg

614C3359-1AB8-426A-8CAD-C61210D35EAA_zps

:thumbup:

Getting a muffler and new tires as I type this. (amazing tread left on the 13", but dry rotted to where I do not trust 'em)

A10 for life!!! Lol Welcome aboard my brother we are the step child that one likes but we're here to stay and they better like it