A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bananahamuck said:

I am almost positive i posted a few pictures of manual and automatic pedal boxes next to each other in this thread ,, but i'm not going back and hunt for them.. 

Pretty sure they are in the warthog thread too but that would require actually looking.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Z20S (carburetor) engine. Block and crank are the same as the earlier reliable L20B engine but with longer rods and flat top pistons and a totally different and re designed flow through hemi head with dual spark plugs per cylinder. The head is part of the NAPS pollution control system. It runs very well but it's head design limits it to highway speeds and it does not modify well for added power due to poor breathing as speed increases above that. It's very good up to highway speeds though and gives good mileage and reasonable power. I like the A10 preferably with round eyes like above.

• Like 1

My opinion is,, the Z20 gives you what seems to be,  a tiny bit more seat of the pants take off "feel"  than the stock L20b,, even Donovan seemed to think so.. Never drove A10 wagons enough to comment on hiway power,,,,,,,,,, and i think i used one of the coils in my Ferguson TO20 now. 

So there's that

On 2/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, bananahamuck said:

My opinion is,, the Z20 gives you what seems to be,  a tiny bit more seat of the pants take off "feel"  than the stock L20b,, even Donovan seemed to think so.. Never drove A10 wagons enough to comment on hiway power,,,,,,,,,, and i think i used one of the coils in my Ferguson TO20 now. 

So there's that

Cannot argue with this assessment. I've always wondered how an L20B and a Z20 would compare on a dyno. The Z20 valves are the same diameter and the valve timing and lift are the same. The more efficient flow through hemi head with and dual plugs (at least at slower speeds) probably makes this difference. Long rod engines allow the piston to 'linger' near TDC longer than short rods. I suppose the piston might have more time to capture more of the combustion pressure during ignition?  

• Like 1

dgs4PI_0SLPWV_1q-bdLSW39uTz6VFp05Ejdhzhv

On 2/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, bananahamuck said:

So there's that

My HL510 Z20s (any clue on the "s"? Have only seen " Z20e" mentioned) not a wagon but a 4 door HATCHBACKwith legal elevation/emissions delete, aftermarket flattened cone dual element intake filter (hence the tilt in the hood.. Need hood spacers..), and even with the $40 CHINESE Carb (with rookie damaged adj. needle) It for sure doesn't have all its power but still is as alive as a one legged jack rabbit after some nice fluffy tail? And as for highway speeds, even at 80 it still pulls like I was doing 25, I'm not a mechanic guru or anything like that but after just what I have learned recently I believe there is great potential to bring this engine out of the shadow of its more popular older brothers? UNLESS THERE IS A REASON I DON'T KNOW OF...???

• Like 1

S is Nissan 'speak' for a carbureted engine. E is multi port fuel injection.

The only the Z20E was in the '80-'81 S110 200sx. The A10 got the Z20S

Make the filter fit the car not the car fit the filter. Or get rid of the filter. There's no gains to be made from any after market filter made, unless you have EFI.... maybe. If that hood comes flying up, kiss that sweet car goodbye. Not worth it at all for ruining the looks.

You would need the entire EFI set up including the wiring, ecu, high pressure fuel pump. Could be done if you had an S110 laying around with everything there on it. Advantages would be better starting in ALL weather, better idle, slight mileage gains.

8 hours ago, DatSonOfAWrench209 said:

dgs4PI_0SLPWV_1q-bdLSW39uTz6VFp05Ejdhzhv

My HL510 Z20s (any clue on the "s"? Have only seen " Z20e" mentioned) not a wagon but a 4 door HATCHBACKwith legal elevation/emissions delete, aftermarket flattened cone dual element intake filter (hence the tilt in the hood.. Need hood spacers..), and even with the $40 CHINESE Carb (with rookie damaged adj. needle) It for sure doesn't have all its power but still is as alive as a one legged jack rabbit after some nice fluffy tail? And as for highway speeds, even at 80 it still pulls like I was doing 25, I'm not a mechanic guru or anything like that but after just what I have learned recently I believe there is great potential to bring this engine out of the shadow of its more popular older brothers? UNLESS THERE IS A REASON I DON'T KNOW OF...???

There is a limit to amount of power NaperZ will make ,, the people that are getting real "power" out of them are usually running turbos,,, and that isn't financially sound advice. .  Easiest ( cheapest) way to up the power is to get a NapZ 24 out of a 720.. 

your location says Californa,,,, can you even do any engine upgrades to such a new vehicle and still pass emissions??  

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You would need the entire EFI set up including the wiring, ecu, high pressure fuel pump. Could be done if you had an S110 laying around with everything there on it. Advantages would be better starting in ALL weather, better idle, slight mileage gains.

Would be easier to just drive the 200sx at that point .. 

'80 was a pivotal year. Start of the new 720 truck and the second gen 200sx. The 210 and the A10 moved to rectangular headlights along with the 720 and the S110. New Z20 engines in the A10 and S110. Last year for the L20B.

The S110 looks pretty slick in black.... more like an S12. Still, too loaded down with creature comforts like the bloated middle aged S130.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, DatSonOfAWrench209 said:

Much nicer, the 200sx looks like a delorean and a gremlin conceived it?

I don't know,,, maybe the 77-78 Thalidomide baby style ,, but an 82 ,, while boxy as a mofro,,  is not bad looking with wide tires and a little lowering.. 

.Problem i have with A10s is,,  if you have one in the backyard,, they start multiplying like fuckin hobgoblins..