A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets get it straight, though, to ease the confusion. 1968-1973(?) Is a 510. 1978-1981 is an A10.

You're on he right idea about the A10. they aren't common. Nobody likes them. And there's no aftermarket. But, there is a silver lining. Theyre cheap. And everything you can do to any other datsun car, you can do to an A10, within reason.

The A10, in my opinion, is a great chassis. Think of it as the missing link between the B210 and the 200SX.

Yeah I've always been a BMW guy myself. I was thinking about trying to lower this one but can't seem to find any info (I know it's out there because I see them lowered) but everything always seems to direct me to the real 510. I'm seeing that a lot of 280ZX stuff is compatible but I'm not real sure what works and what doesn't. I'll try to load some pictures up.

Damn near all RWD Datsun cars share the same strut mounts and dimensions. What makes some better than others is the brake size. The ZX has the largest factory brake setup, therefore what people go for. 

There isn't a bolt-in coilover setup for these cars, unless you buy some for a ZX, but those are ludicrously over-priced. And you can make your own. Search on forum for DIY 280zx strut coilovers. 

You can modify your A10 struts the same way. As I said, people go for ZX because of bigger brakes. 

...........or cut the springs. :thumbup:

Alright here it is. These were the preliminary pictures of it when I got it. It was really dirty and the vapor barriers had seen better days so the inside had some mildew. I've since taken the front door cards off, cleaned them, replaced all the clips and resealed one of the vapor barriers with the 3M windshield adhesive we use on BMW vapor barriers. The driver side one is trashed though so if y'all have any info where I could get another driver front vapor barrier that would be great. I've also found its missing a lot of random fasteners. Namely the two bolts that hold the air cleaner to the valve cover. Anybody know the size on those?

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_6.jpg

image_7.jpg

• Like 1

These are the bad spots on the car. Not much rust at all. the undercarriage looks brand new and all the undercoating looks like it's never been damaged ever, kind of amazing. The biggest problem is it looks like it was in a wreck at one point on the right quarter panel and someone did some half ass body work on it. Big dent in it and it's painted a whole different (albeit nicer) shade of silver than the rest of the car. Also has visible bondo work that wasn't painted for some reason. The doors haven't been touched it's just the lighting at that angle.

image_5.jpg

Back hatch trim/bezel rust

image_10.jpg

Lower side of driver door

image_8.jpg

Here it is with my buddies BMW E34 wagon

image_3.jpg

• Like 1

For vapor barrier just get yourself some visqueen at the home depot nearest you.   But if it's the drivers door i wouldn't worry about sticking it to permanent like,,, since when your window falls off it's track you will be removing it to fix that.. :rofl:

Alright here it is. These were the preliminary pictures of it when I got it. It was really dirty and the vapor barriers had seen better days so the inside had some mildew. I've since taken the front door cards off, cleaned them, replaced all the clips and resealed one of the vapor barriers with the 3M windshield adhesive we use on BMW vapor barriers. The driver side one is trashed though so if y'all have any info where I could get another driver front vapor barrier that would be great. I

Alright thanks man. Probably redo em all then. I'm honestly thinking about just cleaning up really well and selling it. I've already put a new belt, air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, a lot of vacuum lines on it, changed the oil and put new shocks on it. I like the car but it's just another project I don't need with my BMW 540 and an 89 4 wheel steer prelude Si.

Will a 15x8 Et0 fit on my A10 wagon? I really like these Enkie Apache II wheels and they come in a 7 et 25 and an 8 et0.

If you are really dedicated, you can make them fit, but for normal folks I would say no.

I was running 14x7 et0 on the wagon with a mild roll. It had minimal rubbing. I made 15x8 et0 fit on my 210, but I used an Eastwood roller to "pull" the fenders to make them fit. I don't know if you would be able to get enough with the rear doors there.

Having said all that, Do it!

Make them fit if that is what you want for your car.

Will a 15x8 Et0 fit on my A10 wagon? I really like these Enkie Apache II wheels and they come in a 7 et 25 and an 8 et0.

They might as long as you don't go too low

Well today I put new shocks and struts on it. All of them were blown beyond measure. All the oil had leaked out and came pouring out of the strut sleeves. Thing rides pretty good now aside from all the tires being severely flat spotted so it vibrates going down the road. It sat for a while on flats. I think next is going to be a front end overhaul. All the boots for the all the ball joints on the tie rods and lower ball joint were trashed and all the grease had come out. So I think after that it'll ride like a really quality daily. It's got 165/80/13 size tires on it now, a search on tire rack yielded nothing hence why I asked about the Enkeis earlier because if I need new tires id like to pick those wheels up while I'm at it since they're only $150 a piece.

Also, with just eyeballing it I'm not sure the 15x8 Et0 would fit just because of the rear leaf springs. I think it'll clear on the front but I don't think I have 4 inches of space from the mounting point of the wheel to the edge of the leaf springs. I'll have to pull one of the wheels off and measure it to be sure.

I've been working on getting the car pretty much 100% mechanically to sell it. It's got factory AC but the Compressor bearings are shot. I can't seem to find a replacement for it. Is there a way to rebuild it or a place I can send it to? Or maybe one from another model will fit it?