A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you've been busy working on your car, and the datsun this time.

I have it in a 12x30 storage unit at the moment, but I'm technically not suppose to work on it there. All I really have to to is slap some of the vacume lines on, bolt the flywheel and clutch on and drop it in. Just been real busy with work/ girlfriend/ dog/ moving haha

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if a carby Z24 manual trans will swap over to a carby Z20 motor with little to no mods?

As far as it bolting up to the engine, yes zero mods.

But since it's coming from a truck, and going into an A10, it is hard to say if fitting it to the car will require zero modification. 

What did the transmission come from? 

FYI, a 240SX transmission will also bolt up to that engine. 

If it's from a 4x4, it also doesn't have a place to mount the speedometer drive gear.

These both sound like deal breakers to me.   ^_^

The only one that will bolt in with zero mods is another A10 trans. An 80-83 200SX trans will go, just need a shortened driveshaft and maybe some minor rear mount mods. Same with a long tail 2WD truck trans. Some say certain year 720s have a short tail 5 speed which should be an easy install.

For what it's worth, the majority of 4x4 transmissions are short tail. You could use a GPS speedometer. Gearing might not be spectacular, but it would work.

Got some 720s at the local yard. Never come accross a A10 or 200sx with a manual. All of them are Autotragics.

Z20 pulls great and sounds better. Don't want to swap it out, and when I do, I will be rebuilding it.

If I can find a 720 z22 or z24 short tail trans then: 

1. It will be a direct bolt on to the motor.

2. with some mods to driveline and  member.

Sounds doable. Early model year 720s better?

71-series short tail would still need mods to the crossmember.  The mount isn't in exactly the same place or have the same bolt holes as the 63 series.

Yeah, just when you think something "goes without saying" you realize it doesn't.   :rofl:

Futzing around with any trans swap will require tweaking the mounts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Temped to go half inch lower in the front

But I should be investing in air shocks for the rear...

But I won't need air shocks when I swap wheels...

And/Or a midrange cam for super secret stuff coming up...

Or 1UZ for another wagon...

Or a first gen Cressida...

What do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey everybody I've bee lurking on the forums for a while now as I just received a free 1980 Datsun 510. I'm realizing that the general concensus is that these cars aren't very common but also aren't very sought after and nobody makes parts for them. I know nothing about Datsuns so I was hoping to learn some things, specifically where to get hard to find parts etc. DatzenMikes posts about the hitachi carburetor actually helped me get it running so I'd like to finally thank him for that since I joined the forum today.