A14 carb on A12...??

hurricane14

we did a rebuild on what we assume is the correct hitachi that came with the car. all stock 72 1200 coupe with A12.

still having some problems and wondering if a stock hitachi from a 74/75 b210 with the A14 can be made to work? we have an extra and thinking if we have to rebuild it again, maybe try and use that.

concerns.... electric idle solenoid, maunal choke, extra vacuums to plug, change jet size...?

of course we could also look at buying one of ebay (can't believe i said that) "new" from overseas and wait for it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure it will work. Bolt it on and go. Jetting is slightly different but it will drive OK. Both engines run around 14:1 air/fuel ratio. The 1975 A14 (depending on exact version) is jetted leaner so don't expect perfection but it will be OK. The 1974 A13 uses a smaller carb.

But if you already have a rebuilt A12 carb, why not just use that?

Yes, you can buy a chinese knockoff, one friend told me it worked well, but another said his did not work well. Or buy an american-rebuilt Hitachi (e.g. from TomCo).

we have been running our rebuilt "A12 carb" and never able to get it to really run well, it has been driveable for the last couple months, but there is a continuous flat spot, doesn't really kick in the secondary, MPG is awful, the threads for the air cleaner post are jacked and was JB welded back in and now broke off again, and having another problem with the accelerator pump. of course there could be other issues... but just not completely satisfied with this one. not that we are going for performance just yet, still looking to just be a reliable DD first.

but i am only assuming this is the correct carb, since it is what was on the car when we got it, but it did not run. we guessed at a rebuild kit from napa that looked like it had the right parts, i think we referenced an '80 210 (a310 ?)

not ready to pay for a weber, or even a $150 plus rebuild, and i know the stock hitachi's can run just as well if you get them dialed in right (maybe our problem) :blush: so if we have to rebiuld the carb again, i was just thinking of going with something i may be a little more sure will work reliably. or just paying the 79.95 plus 30 for shipping from hong kong and wait for ""new" carb to come and just bolt that on and go......??

leaning towards a $20 rebuild of the a14 (A14 BY Z6/23) and see what happens, but pretty much open to suggestions.....

The problems may be easily solveable. I use B310 carb kits. Just don't use all the parts.

Ive used JB weld that held for 10 years. Got to get it clean first, use carb cleaner followed by ether starting fluid. Same thing can happen with A14 carb.

> doesn't really kick in the secondary

That's a mechanical problem. They don't "kick in" instead the throttle linkage opens them at about 1/2 throttle. If you had the throttle blades out, you may have mis-centered them when they were bolted back on (very common rebuilder's problem). Much safer to never remove them, a rebuild doesn't require it.

The other problems (flat spot, poor mpg and pump problem) might be fixed by disassembly and re-assembly. If you leave one ball bearing or put the spring in upside down it doesn't work right.

The most common reason to junk an A12 carb is a non-working power valve plunger rod. If it won't hold vacuum or is sticky (bent) then just use another carburetor. Very difficult to fix.

1009.jpg