Brake hose flare fitting leaking at caliper

fizrat

The never ending brake job continues to suck my life away...

I replaced the calipers on my '79 620 RV, and while bleeding noticed that the fitting where the brake line goes into the driver-side caliper was leaking around the tubing (not through threads). So I went and bought some pre-flared brake line, bent it, and installed it. Now THAT one is leaking (even worse than the first). The passenger side seems fine.

I took off the line, and cleaned out the threads and seat with a rag. Inspected the lines, the flares look fine on both. Cleaned out both the new line and old line, and retried both. Still leaking. I even took the new line, and flipped it around. Same deal. Tried torquing them down real good (to the point of starting to round them off with the line wrench). And... nope.

The fittings on the old line were about ~10 mm long/deep, the new line's fittings is ~12 mm long/deep. The fittings are symmetric - same size on both ends of both the old lines and new lines. Both are M10x1, 3/16" line.

I'm going to go buy another line tomorrow morning and try that. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking maybe the seat on the caliper is bad and I should exchange it.

Wanted to post here to find out if maybe there is something I'm forgetting to try. Do I need to get a washer to stick in there? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if they are 'reman' or not. I ended up putting a copper crush washer in the caliper seat and that did the trick.

Now the problem is: firm pedal when engine off, soft when engine on. Thinking maybe brake booster issue... researching it now.

Yeah, was thinking about doing another bleed tomorrow. It was good enough to drive around a bit, so hopefully that jarred some air loose and a fresh bleed will set things right. Never thought it possible to use THIS much brake fluid in such a short time!

What threw me off was that the brake pedal felt good and firm when the car was off, but went to mush when it was on. It got me thinking that the brake booster was malfunctioning... and on closer inspection I did find a disconnected vacuum hose near where the brake booster hose comes off the carb. Got that reconnected as best I could... though I think it's got a little leak still. Just doesn't sit on the pipe very well so I'll need to get that on better. But what you're saying makes sense - the pedal feels fine w/o power assistance, but that extra assistance is able to compress that remaining air just a bit more.

Thanks!