brake light came on in dash on 69 510help

fiveoneoh!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving my car today has sr...but completely stock brakes ..as i punched it on the freeway the little square brake indicator came on and as i press the brake it slowly dims.. oh and also brakes are fine pedal feels firm anyone know what the heck this could b? Thank you

end quote

That's likely the hydraulic pressure differential switch. All cars with dual master cylinders have 'em. It works like this. Pressure from front and back systems are sent to a switch in the middle. As long as there is pressure in both systems when you use your brakes everything is fine. But say you have a leak in one system. The fluid leaks out and eventually there is no (or reduced) pressure on one side of the switch. The side with pressure pushes the switch over and it makes contact and turns the dash light on. The hand or E brake is also wired into this brake light. 

This could be a warning that one side of your master cylinder is not making pressure. Could be a leak or just low level but find out fast!