Installing lower control arm bushings

pastric

Greetings everyone!

I have a '79 620 King Cab with disc brakes and some lower control arm bushings that are kicking my ass! Got the old ones out using an air hammer. A hammer bit quickly takes care of the inner sleeve and rubber bushing. A chisel bit slices through the outer sleeve fairly quickly but some finesse is needed to prevent damage to the bore. Finesse and air hammer are admittedly a bit oxymoronic. The hacksaw method is probably the way to go, although it surely takes longer.

Anyway, my problem is installing the new ones. It requires so much force that it destroys the bushing before it's fully in the bore.

Any one have experience with this?

Here's what I've done so far:

The Haynes manual says to use a "suitable socket and a hammer". DO NOT under any circumstances use a "suitable socket and a hammer" to install lower control arm bushings. Complete destruction of the bushing will result!

I made a "puller" out of a threaded stud, pipe fittings, nuts and washers, to pull/press the bushing into the bore, but the results were the same: Too much force destroyed bushing.

I've tried heating the frame but rubber bushings can only take so much heat.

One thing I have yet to try: Heating the frame and freezing the bushings. I don't hold out much hope for this method since the metal casing around the bushing is so thin, it would heat up rather quickly once coming into contact with the hot frame.

Any ideas?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it that the bushing is a metal tube with rubber around it and an outer metal tube? The proper tool is Nissan ST36070000, I know this doesn't help but it does look like it has a projecting finger that fits into the opening in the center of the bushing and covers the sleeve ends at the same time. It's the same tool for installing and removing. I have the FSM and it says basically the same thing as yours. Run some emery cloth through the opening and spray WD to lube it then chamfer the leading edge of the bushing to start it.

2eDeYe;65217']Might run you $5 apiece to have a machine shop with a press install them for you.

A press is really the best way to R & R bushings.

Problem with this is that the bushings that he is tryint to do are pressed into the frame. Good luck getting the whole truck into the hydralic press.

Jason

Problem with this is that the bushings that he is tryint to do are pressed into the frame. Good luck getting the whole truck into the hydralic press.

Jason

OUCH!

Forgot about that...:blink:

What about something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38335

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any more ideas other than using WD/assbly lube and wood?

I also (like Pastric) destroyed a perfectly good set of bushings trying to heavy hammer them in...I have another set and really dont want to ruin them too....

I was really just planning on heating the hell out of the frame....I didn't think about freezing the bushings!

Fellas...

1st Thanks for the help! Just saved me another $20ea!! :thumbup:

Well here's what you need to do it right:

DSC02216.jpg

The Biggest help I found was: THE MORE HEAT THE BETTER!!!

Removal:

-Heat up the outside bushing sleeve (the frame section not the bushing itself)

-As you add heat the rubber in the bushing will start to melt. (This is good....ADD MORE HEAT!) Make sure that if you didn't take off the frame crossmember that you heat the back of the sleve through the little hole in the frame.

-The trick here is to get enough rubber out of the way that you can drive the inner bushing section far enough in so your 1-1/4 bushing driver (Harbor Freight) will contact the outer metal bushing section without gouging the sleeve! ->

DSC02218.jpg

-Now take your 3-5 lb sledge and whack the F#&* out of it! It will take time, muscle, and Patience....(the ones I was taking out were only in for 3mos!!!....Not to mention 30 Years!!)

-Add MORE heat to the frame as you go....whacking and making sure that you don't gouge the sleve....(oops...repeating myself.... :blink:)

-It will come out eventually......Make sure you burn and clean the inside of the sleeve before you go for replacement....and...KEEP IT HOT!!!

Replacement: (here's where I played "The Flash"!!!:cool:)

-Take you brand new bushing out of the freezer (YEP! Heat expands...cold contracts!!!)

-Slop the bushing with Assembly Lube (someone else suggested crisco...???)

-Hand set the bushing on the sleeve so it will go in straight

-Take your SOFT 2x4 and the sledge you used earlier and drive it in!

(Now if it was only that easy!!!?????)

-You will probably only get it in 1/2 way until the bushing starts heating up...NO Problem I Say!!!!

-Now take you trusty Crafstman 28mm 1/2 drive socket ( I used a Japanese KTZ 28mm because it had a flatter surface on the open side, but the Crafstman will work) and CAREFULLY drive the bushing in the rest of the way by striking the socket on the outer section of the bushing with your sledge....(you DON'T need as much force as you think!!!! Just nice deliberate strikes - maybe just over a tap -)

DSC02217.jpg?t=1229816976

-The key in the last step is to NOT strike the inner / rubber section of the bearing with ANYTHING! (the soft wood didn't do any damage...)

-Drive it until it is set equally on both sides and you are done!!!! :)

The Final Result:

DSC02219.jpg?t=1229817018

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...