Datsun z22 5 speed on a L20b

DATSUN671

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L series engine leans over to the right of vertical by about 12 degrees. The Z series engine leands to the left of vertical about 8 degrees. The difference is about 18-20 degrees, so a Z transmission bolted to an L series motor will be leaning 18 degrees to the right with the shifter in someone's hip. The rubber engine and transmission mounts would be twisted and would fail.

I suppose if you re-designed the rear transmission mount by lowering it, supplied a wedge shape for the tilted transmission to sit on and bent the shifter over to vertical it would work. Take note that tilting the transmission mount alone without dropping it a few inches will result in the driveshaft being too high and causing vibration.

I see he has lots of questions about L and Z series parts so I guess they are hard to find. My thinking was that he may have found a Z series 5 speed and want's a way to use it with an L series or LZ motor. Having to find another L tranny for the front case may be hard.

Wayno is correct. Any L series 4 or 6 cylinder 71B 4 or 5 speed front case will convert the Z series 5 speed for use on any L series. The good part is the transmission does not have to be in working order, you just want the front case.

That's what I thought... I knew you could do what Mike mentioned, but never took the time to stop and think about the reverse. That opens up some better engine combos while still being able to retain the column shift (e.g., column shift LZ2.2).

Don't know why I haven't thought of this before.