Is it illegal to drive with (X)____(X)

So I was wndering if it is illegal to drive with black tape X's on your headlights? I have searched and seen a lot of "I've driven my car for years with X's on my lights and never got pulled over once!" Comments on various forums, but never had seen an answer to the question.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Never gotten pulled over" doesn't mean it's legal. Modified suspension is illegal in most states, but most cops will never write a ticket for it.

I'd say it probably is, since it's obstructing your headlights. Why would you want to anyways? It's so trendy if it's for looks.

• Like 1

ive gotten puled over numerous times with the x's and angry eyes on my car and theve never said anything about it but thats here in ga. and my car has alot of things that they could get me for it just really depends on the cop and what he wants to push around here.

I would guess that with most states with safety regulations, as with mine, you cant have anything to obstruct the headlights. However, I myself have my headlights and front marker lights on my 620 taped and havent had any issues. Maybe because I've got Vintage plates on there, or because we have a couple large tracks in the area and there are several cars on the road that just leave them on, or cops just give a shit about something so stupid

"Never gotten pulled over" doesn't mean it's legal. Modified suspension is illegal in most states, but most cops will never write a ticket for it.

I'd say it probably is, since it's obstructing your headlights. Why would you want to anyways? It's so trendy if it's for looks.

That's what I was getting at... I wasn't saying it was legal because people don't get pulled over for it.

Also, lowering your car and adding any visual modifications is trendy. Not a whole lot of people are original anymoore so I don't want to hear about what's "trendy" or not. Nice try though.

• Like 4

Taping up headlights off the race track is the same as drilled rotors, rear spoilers, fake hood scoops, front mount oil coolers and fake front mount oil coolers.........

Even race car drivers have the sense to remove the tape at night. Go figure.

• Like 2

I worked with a dude who was an Arizona state trooper for twenty-two years. he said there was an older Monte Carlo that kept driving through his area. he suspected it was a drug runner and he really wanted to pull it over but had no proof, the tag was current, all the lights worked, the driver was courteous, the windows weren't tinted, the exhaust wasn't loud, etc. one night he noticed the car had air shocks so he pulled the car over for......................improperly aimed headlights :geek: .

I would bet that a cop wanting to be difficult could take measurements of the tape applied over the headlights, do some basic math and threaten to cite you for reducing the power of the bulbs by however much is covered by the tape. you might beat the rap but you still got stopped, had your day interrupted, got embarrassed on the side of the road and were detained against your will for however long it takes for the issue to be resolved.

That's what I was getting at... I wasn't saying it was legal because people don't get pulled over for it.

Also, lowering your car and adding any visual modifications is trendy. Not a whole lot of people are original anymoore so I don't want to hear about what's "trendy" or not. Nice try though.

Thanks guys. Sorry if I damaged some of your lives with what I would like to do to my vehicles. Don't lose sleep over it.

Wow, did I bruise your fragile ego that quick? I didn't say not to do it, I said it was trendy to do it if it was only for looks, since lots of racers I know do it to keep glass off of the track if they have an accident or something gets kicked at the nose of their car. Wasn't sure if you were asking for that reason, driving your car to and from a track :poke:

Nice try with the butthurt though. :thumbup:

i have one headlight left with an X on it..

the tape helps em stay together when gravel trucks are in front of you! lol

youre getting another "ive got one and ive never been pulled over for it..." kind of response.

theyre more worried about other things with my truck other than some tape on the headlights. its never been the tape as the root reason in my case.

Okay Mike, fair enough. Since we are comparing race cars to project/weekened toy cars I have to ask a couple questions. Seeing as how tape on your headlights has been a common thing for a very long time, everyone who goes on a track with their glass headlights has to tape them. Why is this silly and "ricer" to run on your car for style purposes? This isn't something silly like fake hood scoops and glue on spoilers. This actually has race lineage. Fake oil coolers don't.

I feel kind of stupid for protecting a few pieces of tape, but I have a point to make. When you put coilovers (or whatever race type suspension you run) on to your car it is silly because you aren't on the track? You can lower your car a little to make it look a bit better, but its lame because you aren't driving a race car. You put sparco racing seats in your car, but you don't race. Nismo interior and exterior pieces, like air dams, shift knobs, spoilers, etc. But your car has never seen a track. It is all based off of aesthetic appearance.

Just because it isn't a race car, does not mean the car does not deserve racing style.

All of this crap over personal preference and a couple pieces of tape.

Jesus Metalmonkey, maybe you should ask to borrow one of Red Banners tampons..

And yeah yu did, I'm a bit sensitive lol.

I think that's more advisable for yourself man. :poke: You got all bent out of shape over a simple statement. I didn't mean to offend you, just simply asked the purpose.

I've had it on my headlights before. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall anyone calling it 'ricer.'

Xs are for the racetrack for glass containment. They are removed for night driving. Why would you drive around and limit your vision in dusk and dawn, not to mention night, by driving with tape on your headlights? Clown shoes, gentlemen.....clown shoes. You should get a ground effects kit and some neon underglow too, that'll help out in case your car flies off the road from all the nos you have under the hood.

Xs are for the racetrack for glass containment. They are removed for night driving. Why would you drive around and limit your vision in dusk and dawn, not to mention night, by driving with tape on your headlights? Clown shoes, gentlemen.....clown shoes. You should get a ground effects kit and some neon underglow too, that'll help out in case your car flies off the road from all the nos you have under the hood.

I think you missed the point i was trying to make. How are X's comparable to this? What about yellow center lights, or rising sun hoods? It seems like everyone has something on their car that is flashy and impractical.

• Like 1

Datsuns in general are impractical!

You throw all you're money into them.

You do random shit to them.

You lower the shit out of them to the point where you can't have more than one person in it.

and that sir is why I love dem.

Bottom line, yes it is Illegal.

/thread

• Like 1