D21 Brake upgrade onto Post 78 620?

Greiggy

has anyone attempted such a thing?

my engineer wants ventilated and slotted rotors on the front of my 620 for him to make my car legal ( you guys have it lucky over there :P ).

are the 720 vented rotors ( late model im assuming) exactly the same?

will i need lower control arm as well as the whole hub assembly?

any help!!! im stuck and need to know asap as the beast is going to the panel beaters this week... we need to know if we will need to flare the guards ( 18x8 t6 spoke titans )!!

Thanks!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im doing it right now on a 75, same basic thing, very nice setup. just bolt on the hb spindles. ittl be easier for you becasue you already have ball joints, i had king pins. i needed beebani's control arms, which are exellent, you could always buy them too tho, if you wanted better parts. check out my build thread in the projects area. heres the linky http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2508

if your a 78 chassis, you shopuld i believe have ball joints, therefore be able to just bolt on the hardbody brakes. then it wouldnt need beebani's although his are way stronger than stock, and isnt he a ticketed welder too? you could contact him and find out. then ittl pass. plus they look so factory nobody would question you.

2eDeYe;65393'']95 calipers, the spindles cross from 720 to hardbody years. The calipers were used up from 84 or so to 95 IIR...

Yup, up to '84 they were the same as the '78 620. Also used in the first gen 200sx.

You'll probably want to get the calipers that go with the hubs/rotors that you pick up. I just ran into some grief putting the HB stuff on my NL. The '86 HB rotor is not the same as the '85 720 rotor. The top hat is shorter on the 720....which will be good for my next version of the disc setup, but is not relevant to what you are looking to do.

oh....and although the spindle has the same dimensions from the 620 through the HB...the caliper mount is a bit different.....so if you want to use vented rotors, look for a setup off the late 720 or the HB's. The spindle for the 620 will not mount the caliper for the vented rotor. That's basically the only reason you see listings for the dropped spindles only going back to the HB. Early 720's used the same caliper as the 620...I don't know what year the split was. Anyway.....if you get the spindle/hub/rotor/caliper as a setup from a late 720/HB, it will bolt right onto your 620 ball joints and tie rod :)

Let me know what you find for longer studs....I need some too :)

Im just making sure on this setup. Im going with:

2" drop spindles '87HB (Yrs my vary)

Rotor drill/vented '87HB

Calipers '87 HB

Heres the question Will my 78 hub fit on the HB spindles?

And if I want oversize brake setup, I can get the rotors off a V6 HB 2x4 and the calipers off a 4x4 HB, Correct?

Im starting the buying process.

Larry

• Like 1

Brian C. and I did some comparing today. The 620 hub appears to be identical to the late 720 hub. Without taking a wheel off, I can't compare it to the HB stuff right now. There is a difference between the 720 rotor and the HB rotor. I don't know if they used a different caliper bracket to compensate, or changed the hub. I've compared the hubs before, I if I remember right, they're the same......so the caliper mounting bracket must be different.

A couple of years ago, Bre620 and I compared all the spindles. The only difference we could find between the 620/720/HB was that the caliper mounting points on the 620 spindle were different. .......so, yes, your '78 disc hub should fit the HB spindle.

i just re read redeye last post. He has the 79 hup on the HB drop spindle, so I guess that will work. I do want to run the vented/cross drill rotor, thats why I want to go with HB components, same years.

Thanks for the quick response. mklotz70

The caliper mount differences correspond to the caliper differences (whatever that year cutoff may be).

I know the early 720 has the same calipers as the 620 and the later 720 have the hardbody (D21) style caliper.

.and Farmer, you can call me redeye ;)

I've been thinking for quite awhile now that the late 720 and HB had the exact same brakes, but the rotor top hat dimension is different. I'm sure the spindle is the same, so the diff must be in the bracket that holds the caliper to the spindle.

• 3 years later...

Just did some diggin into this lately as I'm working on a project for the '78-up trucks.

I was able to look up different years and part numbers on a special NAPA site I have access to, it gives me dimensions of the rotors which is nice.

So: '78-'83-1/2 used the same rotor and caliper, they list the newer vented rotor and caliper for '83 as well as the older style, so I'm assuming they changed mid way through that year.

'84-'86 used the same rotor and caliper, but in '87 they made the height of the rotor taller by about 3/4" but still use the same caliper through '97 (or at least that was as far as I looked) in '98 they came out with the frontier, so not sure if they changed the brakes again or not.

So to be safe, I think I would make sure to get spindles/brakes from a '87-'97 hardbody.

• 1 year later...