place that stretches tires

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the stupid post above me, Ive notice that many places will install a skinnier tire if youre courteous. It will depend on how much you think is small. Ive done it a few places and some of them will just be like, "You know it will look weird, right?" I just tell them its fine and they do it. Now I wouldnt really call it stretching, as the tire is close to fitting.

What size tire are you trying to fit on what size rim?

I'm not stupid.

But I'm going to talk about tire stretching.

If it's your only choice, do it. Proper size tires are always better.

Stretching a radial is just aesthetic. One tire place might turn you down because it's a liability that they don't want the blame for. Try another place... The more the stretch, the harder it is to keep the bead set. I've seen car wrecks caused by stretched tires with improper pressure pull away from the rim.

I'm pretty sure my back tires are a little stretched. 7" on 8.5" rim I believe.

Sidewall height is a big factor in stretching.

A taller tire with stretch has less flex and does not stick or corner as well as a proper tire. That's why they're so great for drifting. You can get the same effect with big rims and short tires.

If you got a nice set of tires that you can safely stretch on your rims, go for it. Search for tire stretch here. Been covered, uncovered, spammed, hated, and experimented.

Now I'm stupid.

trying to fit 185mm where 195mm should be. same stretch as whats already on the tires, but the ones on the wheels are pretty shot, and i have 4 185/65's that are at about 85% tread. currently car has 185/60's on 3 wheels and 195/60 on 1 wheel because my girl had a blowout. got a cheapy tire that fit correctly, but not much tread on it either and would like to avoid another blowout. and i agree with you datlurka that proper size is better, but cash is currently keeping me from doing what i want to, which is getting 4 new(ish) 205's to slap on the back of my z and goon, and use the 185 back tires from the z on the front of the goon. my girl likes the feel of the skinnier tires on the front, she has some issues with not having power steering anymore :rofl:

i went from a taller, skinnier tire ( 195/75) to a shorter, wider tire (215/40)

and surprisingly it's easier to turn??

and braking performance increased from the larger contact patch, which should is more important.

the back tired will have a better contact patch for braking, that and she drives slower than my grandma because she's scared of hurting one of my cars and having me pissed at her (havent clued her in that i wouldnt be pissed at her unless she was doin somethin stupid to wreck it) and its one of those just do what she wants so that life can be peaceful things lol. the z turns easier when not moving, so she thinks its the tires, and i cant think of any good arguement as to why it wouldnt be the tires...so therefore she wants the z's tires up front on the goon. doesnt overly bother me, cause i like the way both the rims for the z and the extra wider set i have look, so i'm thinkin they may look good with 2 different kinds on front and back lol.

back tire traction is more useful for acceleration (on rwd vehicles) as when you put on the brakes, the majority of the cars weight shifts to and depends on the front tires. you already seem set on your decision so im not tryin to talk you out of it, just providing unsolicited insight

not set on it, just that all my overtime dried up...until today :thumbup: . my be able to afford what i actually wanna do lol. and i dont mind unsolicited insight, never know when someone will have a thought that you never did and make you wanna try it that way.