Almost Bought a 510 Wagon - ARRGGGHHH!

angliagt

I saw a wagon on the Redding (CA) craigslist yesterday,

for $1000.Some rust,all around,L18 w/280Z 5 speed.

I had someone I know go & look at it for me,who told me that it'd be

a good "driver",so I decided that I wanted it.Told the seller that I'd send him a non-

refundable deposit on it,via Paypal,which is the only way that I thought I could get

money to him quickly,as he was 3 hours away from me.

I called him back,after the inspection,ready to buy it for $1000.He

told me that he had a seriously interested possible buyer who was coming to look

at it Saturday morning (today),& he'd call me back when he knew if it sold,or not.

I waited to hear back from him,but got no reply,so I called him,& a re-

cording said that the car was sold.Do you think that he was unfair to do that?

There's also a 2 door 510 for sale near here,listed on the "For Sale"-

forum,If anyone's interested.I want a wagon,or I'd be interested.

- Doug

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfair would have been for him to take a deposit and then sell it, even if he did refund your deposit afterwards. He had a definite buyer who obviously had cash in hand and took the offer. Can't say I blame him, really. As the saying goes, a bird in hand...

• Like 1

A deposit is a promise that you will buy and he to sell. If you decide not to buy, your deposit is forfeit to the seller as he may have had other offers that he turned down because of your promise. Would it be right if he had 10 others that put down a $100 deposit and he sells and keeps the money? As I see it he has reneged on the deal, and at the least, you should get your money back. File a complaint with PayPall. Get your money!!!!

A deposit is a promise that you will buy and he to sell. If you decide not to buy, your deposit is forfeit to the seller as he may have had other offers that he turned down because of your promise. Would it be right if he had 10 others that put down a $100 deposit and he sells and keeps the money? As I see it he has reneged on the deal, and at the least, you should get your money back. File a complaint with PayPall. Get your money!!!!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't get the impression he actually sent any money to him just that he offered.

If you didn't send a deposit, and he didn't say he would accept a deposit to hold the car, there is nothing unfair about it. If you want a car bad and think its a good deal, get down there with cash and buy it. Every time I have agreed to take a deposit or hold a car for someone it did not work out we'll for me, too many flakes, at the very least it was a waste of time. Cash in hand gets the car is the best policy. That's fair. Next time be faster than your fellow ratsuners. ;)

I didn't send him any money - It's just that I offered,

& he didn't accept.I understand both ways,& I'm bummed because I decided

that I wanted it.

I'm looking for a wagon to replace our '68 Cortina that has

rust in the C pillars,& want to buy something that I can drive,& fix if want to,

at my leasure.This car seemed to fit the bill,& the price was right.

I also posted that this is 3 hours away,& the car was on non-op,

so it couldn't be driven back.

- Doug

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't get the impression he actually sent any money to him just that he offered.

No you're right there was only talk about a PayPall deposit. My bad. If I was the seller I would feel free to sell to the next person with the cash.

i feel your pain, but craigslist is full of flakes. For all the seller knew you might have been a flake. I can't tell you how many times i've held a car for someone that was "totally going to buy it" only for them to back out at the last minute. so from now on whenever i sell a car on CL the first person with cash in hand gets it. But like others have said, another one will pop up. just be patient and quick on the draw.