Colorado rocks!

yenpit

So I'm at a PaynPull/LKQ junkyard, working on pulling an L20B out of a 79 720 KC, and this guy walks up, leans on the fender, and says "Hey, are you pulling the transmission too?" I smile and say "Yeah, I was gonna take it too, cuz it's a 5 speed, and it's 1/2 price weekend, so I really can't lose! Why, did you need it?". He said, "Well, that's kinda why I came today." I said "Aaaa, I don't need it, so sure, you can have it! You want to help pull the whole assembly, then we'll split it apart after it's out?" Deal struck! Turns out he knows another Datsun acquaintance, who I met last July, when I was out here in Denver visiting my brother. While I finished unbolting engine & trans stuff, he pulled some other parts that he wanted, and his sister shows up & pitches in. We then went and acquired both an engine crane & a cart to haul it out (lucky as hell, cuz it was swamped busy!!), yanked it all out, and he offered to haul it back to my place in the back of his daily driven 79 720 KC! We dropped the motor off, his sister said "Anybody hungry??!!", so we went out for some grub, and talked about Datsuns & life in general. She even paid for the whole meal!! What a great day!! :rofl:

On top of that, the whole experience of dismantling an old classic car here in Colorado is unbelievable! Every single nut & bolt came right off........not a single fight!! I spent 22 years in the Michigan snowbelt, where classic cars in ANY junkyard were few & far between, and when they did appear, they were absolute rot buckets!! I love the Colorado dry cars!! I think I'm gonna like it here.............. :thumbup:

• Like 6
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok now, here is how the whole exchange went.

me- What the heck are you doing to my truck? Seriously he could have had it since he was there first, but he was nice enough to let me take it. A couple of days earlier I had pulled the passenger door and the trim piece for the gauge cluster. This was my second stop at the yards. I also took the window regulator and locking mechanism from the driver door. I didn't take the door because there was too much bondo and the bottom was close to rusting out. The first stop I picked up a matchbox dizzy for a z and front and rear bumperettes for a 520/521 pick up. It still had the fenders which were in really good shape, one was still on, the other was next to the fence for some reason. The valance was also in great shape as well. My second stop was to get the core back from a head I picked up a week earlier.

My sister was in town and wanted to spend the day with me so my other sister dropped her off at the first salvage yard.

The wheel barrows, carts and winches were all in hot demand. We had to go out in the parking lot and stalk people as they were unloading them at their cars. It worked out well for all. No hoist at your place, but with three of us taking it out and a couple of 2x4's it was cake.

And my other sister is slim, 5'9" dark hair, etc, you know, just in case you're interested. :-D

It was great to meet you JT. We will all have to get together, Alex, Bob and anyone else who wants to have a meet.

It's nice when taking bolts out and there is still shiney plating under the bolts and nuts.

Let's get together. My buddy Ron and I are in Monument. We could do a cruz up to Park Meadows Mall and meet in the Champps parking lot. He would drive his 510 and I could bring the MX520. What do you all think?

OR

if you wanted to drive a little farther we could meet at my place. We will need to invite Kyia (denveratsun)and Bart (madness) too.

Last time Bob3 & I tried to meet up in June (when I was only here visiting), CSprgs had the really bad fires, and by the time I showed up at Carraba's, it was dark......not from nightfall, but from the thick smoke that had shifted onto the city. Of course Carraba's was empty, but my buddy & I still thought about having a beer, and then made the wise decision to keep heading out of town. It was scary. Anyway, I'm up for ANY kind of gathering, but you'd have to put up with my dd Subbie! You guys set it up, and I should be able to swing just about anything!!

TJ

Wish I still had a datsun, All I gots is my CVCC now, just got it running good too. They're are a few datsun trucks out at the junkyard in calhan, a single headlight 520, double headlight 520 IIRC and a few 521's. I even spotted a F10 grille laying on the ground when I was out there a few months ago.

Track day this Saturday Dec. 1st at PPIR

Any Ratsun member / Datsun owner that shows up gets one hour of track time for FREE and FREE coaching with myself or Tommy!

Gates open at 8am

There ya go -

Bob

• Like 1

I'm in, but I've gotta head out by 1pm! Sounds like Alex Davies & his son (out of Boulder/Estes Park) already had other plans, so they can't make it. I also let vintage racer Mark Robinson know, he said he would contact Joe Pizzi and a few other guys, but no commitments at this point.

Here is the place to meet up for those coming from the north.

Starbucks and Safeway at Castle Pines Parkway and I-25. Meet at 7am, leave at 7:30am.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.47184,-104.876336&spn=0.004315,0.006212&t=h&z=17

I'm not sure how many will show up, maybe three that I know of.

Here is the place to meet up for those coming from the north.

Starbucks and Safeway at Castle Pines Parkway and I-25. Meet at 7am, leave at 7:30am.

http://maps.google.c...006212&t=h&z=17

I'm not sure how many will show up, maybe three that I know of.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

You could definitely come later. I will be there from around 8:30am until around 3:00pm. I think you should all meet up around 9:30 or 10:00 and cruise down.

• Like 1