herculesinwyoming

My Christmas present

I agree, reviews look great!

I just wish it could also be hooked up to 220v power as well. I might consider getting this though! Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

God damn it... I want it now.

Price was $279.99 now it's showing $299.99

looks like a good deal

alot of the difference between more expensive name brands and just larger welders in general is the duty cycle (how long you can weld without a break)

useing it for lighter duty and sheet metal applications you will likely never exceed the duty cycle anyways

good deal post your reports when you get it

Price was $279.99 now it's showing $299.99

Nevermind, it's correct. Just need to use the link supplied above!

I look forward to trying it out.

I haven't welded in a very long time, so i will have to freshen my skills too.

Anyone have advice on shielding gas? Buy a bottle, or rent? What are my options there?

ALWAYS use shielding gas. The welds will look 1000 times better.

Most places exchange bottles. Basically you'll buy the first one, but when you go to get it "filled", they just give you a different bottle....but you still "own" that bottle. Works fine, and is actually a good thing, because they have to pay (and have the facilities) to have the bottle pressure tested and re-stamped every so often. It would suck to do this yourself.

• Like 1

if you rent they charge more when its filled thats the rent

if you own they exchange bottle and cost is less because you own it

find out the difference in price and go from there

I own my bottles it just made sense to me

• Like 1

Shield gas makes a huge difference. When my brother used to work for the old metal shop, he would bring home huge Miller mig welders with massive tanks a shield gas, and I could (with no experiance) weld brake rotors together with no slag beautifully.

Using a H/F flux core, I weld like Indy.

can you weld a frame with a welder that small or would you need a 220 welder

This one is rated to weld up to 1/4 inch thick plate. I will have to wait to get mine to see what it can really do.

Welder arrived tonight! Tomorrow i will see about a gas bottle for it.

20121129_173047.jpg

nice. ive been looking at getting a decent MIG setup the past couple weeks. i can NOT decide on what to go with. ill have to check this one out.

Using a H/F flux core, I weld like Indy.

-.- ........lol

agreed on the gas. I wouldn't weld without a shielding gas. what has you use can be debated a bit I'm sure but I don't think anyone with the option to use gas would opt not to

usualy and I dont know why but you can weld thicker material with the flux core then you can with the gas shielded wire useing the 110 welder

the welder should have a cheat sheet inside the lid or in the manual for the settings

you should be able to look at that and see that with flux core you can weld up to the 1/4 and with shielded gas will probably be a little thinner

this was true with my 135 lincolin at least by the settings cheat sheet

• Like 1

you can cheat on thicker material by "preheating" the area with a blowtorch first. supposedly gives you better penetration. I have yet to try it though. not have I needed it

• Like 1

you can cheat on thicker material by "preheating" the area with a blowtorch first. supposedly gives you better penetration. I have yet to try it though. not have I needed it

this does work I have done it you can also grind out and make multiple passes but you want to make sure you get it hot enough to melt together

How are the welds with this?

Yes this works. Its also a good idea to bevel the edges whenever possible.
  • Like 1