My Christmas present

Yes this works. Its also a good idea to bevel the edges whenever possible.

100% correct. In fact you can weld any thickness if you just bevel the edges and run multiple beads. People always think they need 220 or crazy expensive welder to do garage work when even cheap 110 set ups are more then good enough. Heating is good to penetrate not just thicker metals but hardened ones as well. Some people control how fast the piece cools too. A slower cooling period can give a less brittle joint.

Also while flux core is not ideal its not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. A competent welder can make the looks gap very narrow and quality can be the exact same (for 110 purposes). The problems I find most with people not being able to FC properly is not using proper wire, lack of skills, or both.

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% correct. In fact you can weld any thickness if you just bevel the edges and run multiple beads. People always think they need 220 or crazy expensive welder to do garage work when even cheap 110 set ups are more then good enough. Heating is good to penetrate not just thicker metals but hardened ones as well. Some people control how fast the piece cools too. A slower cooling period can give a less brittle joint.

Also while flux core is not ideal its not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. A competent welder can make the looks gap very narrow and quality can be the exact same (for 110 purposes). The problems I find most with people not being able to FC properly is not using proper wire, lack of skills, or both.

the biggest problem with flux core is that you need to clean up all the slag, and if you dont you are creating imperfections in the weld.  Not to mention that there is a lot more spatter, which can be an issue depending on the position you are welding (i dont like getting burnt)

• Like 1

I dont agree with that at all. Arc welding leaves a weld completely covered in slag and it's the number one method for x ray quality welds. All things being equal each is on par quality wise.There isnt more spatter either, if anything I find gas shielded creates just as much if not more spatter that bites since the gas provides a much larger shielded area. Where as the spatter from flux core is easily knocked off. I feel the point is moot either way because if your mig welding and want a pretty result your going to have to clean the weld after regardless since any mig spatters quite a bit.  
No one likes getting burnt but I never in my life met a welder who didnt get burnt regardless of the method being used. Comes with the territory... 

The biggest advantage to using gas, in my opinion anyway, is its more user friendly which is why everyone swears its better. You can use a smaller wire with less heat which allows for less blow through. You also get decent penetration even if you dont have a good hand.  

The biggest disadvantage is that if its windy your screwed and if you have to move to various spots it becomes a pita to haul it all. Along with the added initial and operation cost. 

Thats how I see it anyway lol. 

• Like 1

good info here !

I like the 6010 and 6011 for penetration and 7018 for finish on arc welding heavy stuff :)

crank up the heat with 6010/6011 and you have a portable torch :rofl: :D Ive done that quite a bit lol.

Yeah , I think the 7018 (like at home depot) has a lot of slag but finishes nicely on mild steel in either 1/8" or 3/32" rod.

The 6010 and 6011 doesnt have as much that I see.

Ive been wanting to try some 7024 rod.

hope you enjoy your welder herculesinwy.

keep your wire humidity free and dry !

read read read about settings , steel strengths , and wire specs/gas mixes ... welding shops have useful tips usually.

preperation will be key in anything you weld.

Whatever you do ... get comfortable .... go slow ... go slow ... go slow

people (including myself) always move the handle waaaay to fast and are concerned about a pretty weld more than anything lol .. when first starting. Everyone should learn the settings , materials , feedback (when welding) , preperation , types of joints , welding style for material , etc 

The best welder in the world won't be able to lay a pretty bead or weld if his settings are off in my opinion.

welding is one area that I will personally FOREVER feel like a noob :rofl:

• Like 1

with the slag i was talking about multipe passes.  if you dont have good technique you are going to get a little wedge of slag that is next to impossible to remove without a grinder, which is creating more work for yourself.

and from my experience i have to change lenses out MUCH more often when using flux core over mig.

I agree but you said it yourself, good technique. Its the person not whether its flux core or gas. Gas is definitely easier but I would always argue both can produce the same quality. 

Do you weld looking up or something like that? I was doing a ton of tig/mig/arc fab and field repair work at my last job and in a year I didnt have change my lenses once. Honest question, not breaking balls lol, I've actually never been in the situation to have to change out lenses besides if I go from mig to tig or something like that. 

So far it has been a real decent welder, being the holiday season and all i haven't had much time to spare, so far i have just used it with flux core wire and played on scrap steel.

This was my first try ( don't laugh) using the crappy hand held face shield that came with the welder. I need to get some real safety gear and get more practice.

20121206_153831.jpg

thats good first try ! find a good steel yard or source. Seeing options and prices and more importantly what is available changes how you think and create with metal. my favorite local yard has fair prices and a .50 per pound misc metal area ... a lot for misc ... but find the right piece and you save time , wear , and consumables.Im still bummed my favorite yard doesnt sell any thicker wall than .120 on smaller round and square tubing.

72240z and Eric Happy Meal - I've never really TIG welded before. Ive always wanted to and have always been curious how hard it is.

• Like 1

It's not hard once you get used to using your foot to control heat. I hated having so much control learning. In the end though its like a manual trans and want to go back. Its just not practical for a lot of work though. I learned mending broken heating elements for glass tempering furnaces where I used to work. They were made out of some exotic alloy and even with the tig was a pita to weld. A 2ft filler rod was like 50 bucks lol. 

So far it has been a real decent welder, being the holiday season and all i haven't had much time to spare, so far i have just used it with flux core wire and played on scrap steel.

This was my first try ( don't laugh) using the crappy hand held face shield that came with the welder. I need to get some real safety gear and get more practice.

20121206_153831.jpg

Clean your metal before you try to weld.

You're definetly right hercules .. that  hand held face shield needs to be shelved and an autodarkening to take its place. More so you can get 2 hands on the handle :) right ?

72240z - holy crap ... $50 for 2ft ? Welding the heating elements sounds pretty cool .. especially being more unique or exotic. Ill take your word for it and you answered my question on the difficulty/coordination lol. Ill have to learn one day soon hopefully , but simply cant justify owning one for my stuffeven though it would be pretty cool to use it now and then on various experiments lol.

• Like 1

yeah i just wanted to burn some wire, i need to get the right safety equipment and a grinder with a flap disk on it.  right now money is going for gifts and such, i will get on the welding soon.

So far for the price i the eastwood welder is a great value.

• 2 weeks later...