My Christmas present

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a good deal

alot of the difference between more expensive name brands and just larger welders in general is the duty cycle (how long you can weld without a break)

useing it for lighter duty and sheet metal applications you will likely never exceed the duty cycle anyways

good deal post your reports when you get it

ALWAYS use shielding gas. The welds will look 1000 times better.

Most places exchange bottles. Basically you'll buy the first one, but when you go to get it "filled", they just give you a different bottle....but you still "own" that bottle. Works fine, and is actually a good thing, because they have to pay (and have the facilities) to have the bottle pressure tested and re-stamped every so often. It would suck to do this yourself.

• Like 1

if you rent they charge more when its filled thats the rent

if you own they exchange bottle and cost is less because you own it

find out the difference in price and go from there

I own my bottles it just made sense to me

• Like 1

Shield gas makes a huge difference. When my brother used to work for the old metal shop, he would bring home huge Miller mig welders with massive tanks a shield gas, and I could (with no experiance) weld brake rotors together with no slag beautifully.

Using a H/F flux core, I weld like Indy.

usualy and I dont know why but you can weld thicker material with the flux core then you can with the gas shielded wire useing the 110 welder

the welder should have a cheat sheet inside the lid or in the manual for the settings

you should be able to look at that and see that with flux core you can weld up to the 1/4 and with shielded gas will probably be a little thinner

this was true with my 135 lincolin at least by the settings cheat sheet

• Like 1

you can cheat on thicker material by "preheating" the area with a blowtorch first. supposedly gives you better penetration. I have yet to try it though. not have I needed it

this does work I have done it you can also grind out and make multiple passes but you want to make sure you get it hot enough to melt together

• 2 weeks later...