Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I read some maximum boost again. So here are some interesting calculations:

"Of known dyno runs on piston engines with a variety of turbo systems, the lowest output we have achieved is .052 bhp/cid psi and the highest is 0.77bhp/cid psi. The variance is due to the engines' basic designs. To guess at the output of your own engine, choose a logical boost level and multiply each of the two values by both displacement in cubic inches and boost pressure plus 14.7."

Example: A 350 cid engine with 10 psi boost.

Lower value: = 0.052 x 350 x (10+14,7) = 449 bhp

Higher value: = 0.077 x 350 x (10+14,7) = 666 bhp

So in my case: 1488cm³ = 90.803in³ and 0.8bar = 11.60304psi

Lower value: = 0.052  x 90.8 x (11.6 +14.7) = 124 bhp

Higher value: = 0.077 x 90.8 x (11.6 +14.7) = 184 bhp

Conclusion: So I'm hoping that I will reach my 160 bhp at the dyno run when this engine is completed! 

If I'm going crazy with 1bar boost

Lower value:= 0.052 x 90.8(14.5+14.7) = 137 bhp

Higher value: 0.077 x 90.8(14.5+14.7) = 204 bhp

Back to our donor car:

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tqmv7.jpg

Beaten up pretty badly :/

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tqmyv.jpg

The head was in great condition, unlike the other one.

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tqn24.jpg

Corrosion has done its work here again...

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tqn8a.jpg

One valve was stuck and I lubricated it and it returned to normal position :)

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tqo2d.jpg

The donor head and the one in progress. 

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tqnfz.jpg

And last but not least, it was fathers day so my father and I went to event, where people were selling car and bike parts. I also found this nice t-shirt + datsun mechanic hat.

I'm so sorry for the blurry images :( Replacement camera is just so bad at macro zooming. I get more parts next week, hope to see you guys again soon, cheers!

• Like 1

UPS What the...

delivery problems/delay caused by sender CORRECT STREET NEEDED NOT DELIVERED, UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE 11.11.13 16:01 HELSINKI   Delivery Attempt Delivery Attempt 11.11.13 16:01     Out for Delivery Estimated to Arrive (En Route), Destination 11.11.13 04:37 HELSINKI   Out for Delivery Estimated to Arrive (En Route), Destination 11.11.13 04:35 HELSINKI   In Transit with Destination Carrier ARRIVAL SCAN 10.11.13 22:10 HELSINKI, FI

Even though all the information and street address is correct.. Need to call them.. I want my ARP head studs ;(

What do you guys suggest? Racing clutch or normal? I'm not going to make burnouts, but I'm definitely going to get some lap times with this build. And for now, going with normal 4-speed tranny. Btw, parts finally arrived. For some reason UPS didn't get our billing information and needed to make a call for them. 

Oh, and does B310 coupe and B310 wagon share the same hood? 

What do you guys suggest? Racing clutch or normal? 

How often do you want to change it?  B)

Oh, and does B310 coupe and B310 wagon share the same hood? 

All the front end sheetmetal is the same regardless of body style. What you have to watch for is year. There's an early front and a late front. 

• Like 1

How often do you want to change it?  B)

All the front end sheetmetal is the same regardless of body style. What you have to watch for is year. There's an early front and a late front. 

Well, not very often, haha. But should I try with the normal clutch or just buy one racing clutch instead? Oh, I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-1200-NISMO-Metal-Clutch-Disk-NISSAN-A12-A14-A15-B110-B310-UTE-SUNNY-/251316033662?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a839a587e

and it tells me that I should buy this cover with it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-1200-NISMO-Racing-Clutch-Cover-NISSAN-A12-A14-A15-B110-B310-UTE-SUNNY-/261260196525?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd4523aad

But it's kinda optional, what do you think? Should I be able to just buy the racing clutch and rock with the old clutch cover?

And thanks for the answer :)

Well, not very often, haha. But should I try with the normal clutch or just buy one racing clutch instead? Oh, I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-1200-NISMO-Metal-Clutch-Disk-NISSAN-A12-A14-A15-B110-B310-UTE-SUNNY-/251316033662?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a839a587e

and it tells me that I should buy this cover with it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATSUN-1200-NISMO-Racing-Clutch-Cover-NISSAN-A12-A14-A15-B110-B310-UTE-SUNNY-/261260196525?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd4523aad

But it's kinda optional, what do you think? Should I be able to just buy the racing clutch and rock with the old clutch cover?

Well, the clutch disc is what really makes it "aggressive". The cover you mentioned just has a higher seat pressure. 

Basically this:

"Race" disc if you plan to drag race (more resistance to shock loads)

"Race" cover if you are worried about extra horsepower making the clutch slip (stronger "grip").

Both to cover all your bases, or to be the coolest kid on your block.   B)

And that disc has a sprung hub so it's not really a "full race" clutch. Those usually have sold hubs.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well, the clutch disc is what really makes it "aggressive". The cover you mentioned just has a higher seat pressure. 

Basically this:

"Race" disc if you plan to drag race (more resistance to shock loads)

"Race" cover if you are worried about extra horsepower making the clutch slip (stronger "grip").

Both to cover all your bases, or to be the coolest kid on your block.   B)

And that disc has a sprung hub so it's not really a "full race" clutch. Those usually have sold hubs.  :thumbup:

Thanks dude :)

Yeah, I'm not so much into ''full race clutch'' so I might go with the heavy duty street clutch. And I asked some local shop to make me a clutch that suits for my needs, and they offered a custom made clutch :

200 hv/350 Nm 

CG Cerametallic

Heavy duty five-bladed race clutch frame with spring-loaded hub and ceramic coated friction pads.

and they will balance my flywheel and the friction surface will be machined.

€695 (includes shipping)

vs. the ebay one that i was linked before. (both clutch and the cover)

€530 (includes shipping)

What do you think?

Pictures:

20131115_175115_1__by_atomicsickness-d6u

20131115_175156_1__by_atomicsickness-d6u

20131115_180913_1__by_atomicsickness-d6u

Why can't they cut these so that the holes would mach? 

20131115_190815_1__by_atomicsickness-d6u

ARP studs in place...

20131115_194715_1__by_atomicsickness-d6u

Rocker studs destroyed... So yeah.. I was tightening these bolts with a torque wrench to their specific torque (2.0-2.5kgf) And around 1 kgf the studs just snapped... Then I looked the torque wrench and it seems like it's has been treated incorrectly, because the metal arm was out of center. So what I'm going to do tomorrow: go to store, buy electronic torque wrench, check ALL bolts (main bolts etc.) because i have this little fear in my mind that they're out of their specifications.

20131115_203754_1__by_atomicsickness-d6u

I'm glad that I have spare ones... And yes, the rocker arms were loose so they would not put any pressure to the springs yet. If it isn't the torque wrench, I don't freaking know what it is, jeez...

• Like 1

might have it looked at then..... i had a buddy that was using the one his grandpa gave him, and he kept blowing head gaskets until we did a head gasket in my garage with my tools.....

Yep, considering what would be best, calibrating beam-line or buy new electronic one. I wonder if I could calibrate it at home.. But I guess I would need another torque wrench for that...? And my fears are now that I have tightened the main bolts too tight and that's why it's kinda heavy to spin the crankshaft (with pistons and camshaft installed etc.) I'm guessing the worst... My luck~ Haha

• Atomic changed the title to Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project