Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

Also bought an adapter for radiator upper radiator hose so I can connect thermo fan switch to it later:

s-l1600.jpg

Will be sourcing the thermo switch locally probably, opening at around 82 degrees, because my thermostat is set to that also. In the future a linearly ramping fan controller system would be preferable.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wasn't sure what kind of exhaust tip I wanted to have, so I ended up going with the casual big one:

148636.jpg

3'' stainless steel end muffler. I hope that I'll be able to make the exhaust note deep, but not droning. I should also order more argon for the TIG welder

Stainless steel turns a straw yellow at just under 200C.

The thermostat should be around 180 -185 so set your fan controller for 190F or it will be on all the time.

Sounds like lifter noise. I would never run any oil with a 10 rating unless well under 0C and never on a turbo engine. Be sure it has a high ZDDP level. Do you have an oil cooler??? 

31 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Stainless steel turns a straw yellow at just under 200C.

The thermostat should be around 180 -185 so set your fan controller for 190F or it will be on all the time.

Sounds like lifter noise. I would never run any oil with a 10 rating unless well under 0C and never on a turbo engine. Be sure it has a high ZDDP level. Do you have an oil cooler??? 

The lifter noise went away when I changed the oil. I don't have oil cooler yet, have been thinking about it tho. We will see how well will the new engine oil last, it's supposed to have all them goodies and that's why it cost so much. The oil that I bought was advertised to have high heat resistance and suitable for track driving and for turbo charged applications too. Shouldn't I just be then worried about weather I can keep the water temperature at optimum level?

Edited by Atomic

I don't know what the A series thermostat is. Probably about 180-185, but this is also turbo so it will run a lot hotter under load. A lot of turbo owners run 160 to reduce the chance of detonation but this is a poor way of doing it. The vast majority of the time you're just driving around and a cold engine is not an efficient one. It would be best to run near the design temperature but have extra cooling capacity .... like an oil cooler, larger rad and/or extra fans that come on only if needed. You want the engine to run hot, but tightly controlled so it doesn't over heat.

3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I don't know what the A series thermostat is. Probably about 180-185, but this is also turbo so it will run a lot hotter under load. A lot of turbo owners run 160 to reduce the chance of detonation but this is a poor way of doing it. The vast majority of the time you're just driving around and a cold engine is not an efficient one. It would be best to run near the design temperature but have extra cooling capacity .... like an oil cooler, larger rad and/or extra fans that come on only if needed. You want the engine to run hot, but tightly controlled so it doesn't over heat.

I have the thermostat opening at 82 C. I need to do some test driving to determine if I need an oil cooler or not. If I end up getting one, I will probably put a opening valve that is thermoreactive so when the oil temperature reaches over certain point, it circulates the oil through the cooler up front or something.

Yes. Something that goes along for the ride, but reacts to a temperature spike. Synthetic oil is a good idea for a turbo because it doesn't break down from heat as easily. The lubricating system reaches parts that the cooling system cannot and draws away heat. 

34 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Yes. Something that goes along for the ride, but reacts to a temperature spike. Synthetic oil is a good idea for a turbo because it doesn't break down from heat as easily. The lubricating system reaches parts that the cooling system cannot and draws away heat. 

Yeah, I made sure it was fully synthetic, and was told that ester based oils are the thing I should be looking for, so that's what I bought. And yeah, if I get an oil cooler I should just make sure that the oil keeps constant temperature when running hot and avoid spikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Put the old empty argon bottles to sell and bought a new one. I still need to weld the new rear muffler when it comes in. 

Also hyped for tomorrow if the master clutch cylinder arrives! Lets see what tomorrow brings, might drive datsun out of the garage, or not 😏

• Like 1

As a surprise to no-one, the new wilwood master cylinder didn't fit how I initially wanted it to fit. So installation required some fabrication. I'm now just missing one adapter: 1/8 npt to 3/16 brake line fitting. I'll see when I can get it posted to me. So maybe I can continue the progress next week and we'll have a working clutch. I'll upload some pictures when the image server is working better.

Drove the turbo coupe first time outside, clutch is working superb!

img_20190617_190652_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_191359_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_191521_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_191526_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_192010_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_192021_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_192054_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_192128_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_192137_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190617_192148_by_atomicsickness_dd

I'm still waiting for the rear muffler to arrive. Till then it's straight dump.

img_20190617_195818_by_atomicsickness_dd

The car was leaking something small to the ground when driving, but I wasn't able to conclude what it was even after checking under the car. Will investigate bit further to see what it is.

• Like 4

Finally the oil catch cans arrived along with the water thermostat housing. The oil catchers were 13 dollars a piece, 3-way all aluminium, quite robust feeling and heavy with anodized coating.

img_20190620_155110_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190620_155126_by_atomicsickness_dd

The water adapter was like 5 dollars, wouldn't do that even myself out of aluminium for that cheap. On Monday I will have the thermoswitch to trigger the fans at 87 degrees. Then I can start tuning the car for realz.

Also got the windshield installed, went quite smoothly I heard! The local shop was suberb!

img_20190620_170828_by_atomicsickness_dd

Datsun was quite low tho, so the taking off was quite a pain in the ass, oof.

img_20190620_172558_by_atomicsickness_dd

• Like 1
1 hour ago, isflippin said:

Getting there. Have you found a source for windshield and glass rubbers?

Rubbers are available through eBay and some Australian sites have glasses for sale

You can back your tow vehicle up onto some oil change ramps when loading.  That pushes the front of the trailer higher up in the air and puts the rear lower on a steeper angle.  This eases the transition from ramps to trailer and also puts the whole thing lower so less angle.

And still awesome

• Like 1

Got more Argon for welding with TIG. I'm just waiting for the 3'' end muffler to arrive to local store. 

Then I need to find a tap for M14x1.5 threaded thermoswitch, will be asking if anyone has one to borrow. 

When I get the fans to work automatically and exhaust finished, I can start driving the car around and tune it, woop woop. And I'm going to have a holiday next month, maybe a week or in best case, 2 weeks. I'm also going to sell one of my motorcycles and I'm going to save that money to paint the datsun. I'm going to do the paint prep bodywork myself, thus I'll be buying a sander that has a dust bag and vacuum cleaner hose for increasing my workspeed on larger surfaces. I hope I can get the car up and legalized this year so I can go to car meetings with it.

Got the tachometer on my dash to work today! I had the wrong input selected from the tunerstudio, oopsie.

img_20190624_201917_by_atomicsickness_dd

I should also try to work out the speedometer while at it

Edited by Atomic
  • Like 1

Got the new muffler installed today:

img_20190627_172703_by_atomicsickness_dd

img_20190627_172722_by_atomicsickness_dd

Also received the overflow water tank:

img_20190627_173150_by_atomicsickness_dd

And was able to install the thermoswitch finally, bought the MF14x1.5 tap:

img_20190627_175914_by_atomicsickness_dd

My bigbrother came by and bought me some motoroil 😄 

img_20190627_214203_01_by_atomicsickness

He also took some sweet pictures with his new phone:

konetila_by_atomicsickness_ddacsqo-fullv

ddacrcv-ceaa9de3-dc64-477b-ab92-da8f6c67

Here is also a video with the new rear muffler, damn its louder and deeper than I expected

• Like 1