Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is really difficult to do the intake manifold now that I know that I shouldn't do longer intake pipes than 400 mm. I'm not able to fit the plenum and the throttle plate in good position neither. I'm struggling at the moment, hopefully I will get some good idea to solve my issue

Finally got the courage to make the new intake runners with injector pockets, this time with TIG. But oh boy, let me tell you it wasn't easy to get the first weld tap on place ? 

img_20181024_175015_by_atomicsickness-dc

And then I learned that I should pay attention where the pocket leans after welding, so I had to do some 'fine' tuning...

img_20181024_195425_by_atomicsickness-dc

But overall I'm quite pleased here are some results:

img_20181024_201040_by_atomicsickness-dc

img_20181024_201309_by_atomicsickness-dc

img_20181024_201244_by_atomicsickness-dcimg_20181024_201252_by_atomicsickness-dc

Soon to be mounted... soon... I need to clean up the first mistakes I made with MIG welder, so that I can reuse that flange with these new pipes, got all 4 done, happy with the results

• Like 1

Cut the old manifold to pieces to salvage some bends from it:

img_20181025_172520_by_atomicsickness-dc

Mocked up the manifold runners with aluminium tape, the distance to hood is somewhere around 7 cm, so should be just enough space to go over the valve cover:

img_20181025_181039_by_atomicsickness-dc

img_20181025_183909_by_atomicsickness-dc

img_20181025_184038_by_atomicsickness-dc

img_20181025_200740_by_atomicsickness-dc

Will continue maybe tomorrow with the other set, welding with TIG is really nice

• Like 1

Bought a dremel kit for honing the injector pockets and intake manifold from the inside, it came with really nice adapter that I didn't take a picture of:

img_20181026_143059_by_atomicsickness-dc

Kuvahaun tulos haulle dremel 4000

The small tool under the blue box is what I'm talking about, really handy!

And again, with the help of aluminium tape:

img_20181026_150848_by_atomicsickness-dc

img_20181026_150812_by_atomicsickness-dc

So the bends are bit wonky due to my inferior taping skills ? but I should do a jig to line up all the injector pockets when I'm going to weld the runners to the flanges. Probably going to drill holes to a plate and then use that to align the injector pockets.

• Like 1
Just now, datsunfreak said:

So will the plenum be above the rocker cover or above the spark plugs?

Above the spark plugs, I need to remake the plenum that I did year ago, going with silicone pipes over the valve cover so the valve cover is accecable

Edited by Atomic
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a second dashboard for B310, bought the whole dash to get glove box and air vents and such from it:

img_20181103_111037_by_atomicsickness_dc

Got also the air  vent sheet metal that needs a bit work but it's far better than the ones I had previously from late model B310 with square headlights (had different shaping)

img_20181103_111043_by_atomicsickness_dc

Then I was able to get chrome bumper supports also, the need a bit of love and then I need to design new mounting holes for them since I patched the spots where the old ones were

img_20181103_111538_by_atomicsickness_dc

I'm glad that I finally got fully functioning air vent system and all the climate control mechanism works and then i was able to insert the glove box also:

img_20181103_133258_by_atomicsickness_dc

Then cleaned up the passanger side floor a bit, and hid the main power switch inside of it, it came our really clean looking:

img_20181103_144743_by_atomicsickness_dc

In the future I should start molding my own covers for the wires and fuse boxes. Also a carpet and sound damping would be in place soon too.

Does anyone have an idea what these are in english?

SA-4.jpg

You can basically run another port from silicone / rubber hose. I was planning to use something like these to rob a line for the turbo coolant line.

SA-10_2.jpg

Edited by Atomic
On 11/15/2018 at 6:36 AM, Lockleaf said:

https://www.ebay.com/i/112599511030

Better?

I searched "silicone hose vacuum fitting" and found some other stuff too

I'm bit sceptical of the finger tightening ring over there. I'll probably just have to order some and test them out

Just figured that the threaded pipe fitting will tighten down the finger ring also, d'oh! Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Atomic

1000 project pictures posted to the blog with this submission, hurrayy.

I bought a new clutch master cylinder:

img_20181117_090933_by_atomicsickness_dc

NOS brake master cylinder:

img_20181117_091003_by_atomicsickness_dc

New front grillie ornaments:

img_20181117_091028_by_atomicsickness_dc

img_20181117_091102_by_atomicsickness_dc

img_20181117_091122_by_atomicsickness_dc

img_20181117_091223_by_atomicsickness_dc

Then I might have a minor problem with the clutch... ?

gif_181118_123229_by_atomicsickness-dcs9

I have the slave cylinder attached to the frame of the car due to not having mounting points on the transmission. The clutch doesn't disengage with this travel and I need to start thinking something else then. What came into my mind is to have pull type slave cylinder attached to the side of the motor from willwood forexample. (the slave cylinder is pushing the fork in the gif, so not to get confused here)

wil-260-1333.jpg

42 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Is it working in the opposite direction that it's supposed to? 

Also, may be the video, but it looks like it's moving the entire engine forward?  

The pivot point is on the other side of the gearbox. I ended up using the fork that is used with cable normally.

M46 Non-Turbo Throwout Arm Stud Location

And i have tested the clutch to be working when the engine and tranny were out of the car. 

And yes, the whole engine is moving ?

16 hours ago, Atomic said:

Is that a good or a bad thing? ?

Could be bad. Most cables have the pivot on the opposite side of where the arm comes out. Hydraulic set-ups have the pivot between the bearing and the arm's exit. Hydraulic is made to "pivot", cable is just made to "rise". 

There's a hole below the throwout bearing in this photo. Can the pivot be moved down there? 

TransmissionM46NA.gif

8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Could be bad. Most cables have the pivot on the opposite side of where the arm comes out. Hydraulic set-ups have the pivot between the bearing and the arm's exit. Hydraulic is made to "pivot", cable is just made to "rise". 

There's a hole below the throwout bearing in this photo. Can the pivot be moved down there? 

Yes, i would need to find a hydraulic fork for there and disassemble the transmission again to insert the pivot point there (same transmission was used with both hydraulic and cable setups). I'm going to try it with the new wilwood slave cylinder. But if that doesn't work then I guess I have no choice.

15 hours ago, Atomic said:

Yes, i would need to find a hydraulic fork for there and disassemble the transmission again to insert the pivot point there (same transmission was used with both hydraulic and cable setups). I'm going to try it with the new wilwood slave cylinder. But if that doesn't work then I guess I have no choice.

There's always something like this?

https://www.jegs.com/i/Howe/505/82870/10002/-1

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Atomic changed the title to Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project