Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

I just used flat "weather strip" foam to rebuild mine. Self adhesive, meant to accept exposure to water (just in case), and I had it on hand. But that was very recently, so I haven't really abused it yet.

In the how to section, there has recently been a lot of discussion on rebuilding/replacing heater valves in 510s. If yours is anything similar, you might find some useful info in there.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the golf fender flares look great and almost fit perfectly

Yeah, I think they would make a great fit in the end. And I tried to contact some of the local welding shops, but they all seem to be on a holiday or smth.. slackers..  :rofl:

Got some new parts:

Rear axle dust plate, handbrake clamps and new rear disks:

img_20160711_175941_by_atomicsickness-da

also cleaned out the master cylinder and stuff:
img_20160711_201545_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160711_201614_by_atomicsickness-da

Basically I had to get another master cylinder because the other one that I blasted, was so jammed that it got stuck on the bottom... And then I brought the old radiator back, and started to ask for how much a new core would cost, tried to look through ebay and search for B310 radiator, but only found some datsun 1200/A12 radiators, RIP...

Rims! Finally arrived.. There is only a small issue..  :rofl:

img_20160713_173133_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_173609_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_173630_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_173643_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_174655_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_174701_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_175602_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_175749_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160713_175836_by_atomicsickness-da

So... I need probably need to widen up the front fenders too  :rofl:  :rofl: If I want to keep these rims that is.. I really like how they look.. Maybe I go shopping for more Golf I fender parts  :rofl: and see how it turns out..

• Like 1

Is the front suspension fully compressed? If not, it should tuck in some more when you do. 

Option 2, camber plates to dial in more negative camber to tuck them in.   B)

Nah, it was free, the damn front springs are so stiff when no load  :rofl:  :rofl: And I just tried a bit, it didn't go in that much. I guess my camber has changed a bit because the shortened front struts. 

And Option 2 is kinda out of the question  :rofl: I want that grip! so 0 camber would be ideal.. 

The other worrying thing is tho that the wheels are going to be killer when they're turned, aka huge workout each time I try to park somewhere  :rofl:  Measured that 200mm tyres minimum to the front, oh boy..

0 camber doesn't provide optimal contact patch under anything but perfect straight line conditions.

When turning and loading the suspension, camber curve and sidewall deflection will cause the contact patch to be reduced.

Better grip on turns is usually found with at least some camber built in. Then you roll ON to the contact patch in a turn.

0 camber doesn't provide optimal contact patch under anything but perfect straight line conditions.

When turning and loading the suspension, camber curve and sidewall deflection will cause the contact patch to be reduced.

Better grip on turns is usually found with at least some camber built in. Then you roll ON to the contact patch in a turn.

Oh, then I need to look more into it! But Anyways I don't want too much camber on it A. looks kinda silly, B.with too much camber there is uneven tire wear C. Gonna cost me $200  :rofl: 

Already thought about Golf I rear fenders to the front, they looked kinda neat actually, need to post pics when I'm back at the garage, gonna take time tho, going to be back in next week or so

EDIT: I just mean that that maybe -1 or -2 camber can't save me in my situation 

Talk to some of the autocross guys. While they mostly drive 510s, their experiences can be instructive.

It's not VIP style of camber though. Just a degree or two typically.

(Take all this with a grain of salt. I'm not a racer, just an observer.)

Talk to some of the autocross guys. While they mostly drive 510s, their experiences can be instructive.

It's not VIP style of camber though. Just a degree or two typically.

(Take all this with a grain of salt. I'm not a racer, just an observer.)

Yeah, just watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8jwyrdy04

And like I edited on my last quote, I'm not sure if -1 to -2 camber will save my ass from not to widen up the front fenders  :rofl: 

• Like 1

Nah, it was free, the damn front springs are so stiff when no load  :rofl:  :rofl: And I just tried a bit, it didn't go in that much. I guess my camber has changed a bit because the shortened front struts. 

Take out the spring, jack it up into position, then see where you're at.    ;)

I just mean that that maybe -1 or -2 camber can't save me in my situation 

You might be surprised. As long as the gain comes from the top and not the bottom. 

Take out the spring, jack it up into position, then see where you're at.    ;)

You might be surprised. As long as the gain comes from the top and not the bottom. 

Sure I can do that when I get back at the garage  :rofl:

And As I would like to, I kinda need more money to buy camberplates... I don't have any income at the summer as a student  :crying: But I'm gonna start selling some car headlights we had laying around

• 2 weeks later...

More pics:

Bought some clamps:
img_20160731_164603_by_atomicsickness-da

And made some drawings on the fenders and cut them into smaller shape:
img_20160731_170208_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160731_181121_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160731_181128_by_atomicsickness-da

img_20160731_181136_by_atomicsickness-da

Pretty good fit. Need to make those grooves into the fenders to make it blend in more and stuff. Also going to see how much some tires will cost for the rims and then buy more hacksaw blades to cut out the old fender pieces off and stuff 

RIms lookflares look great. I really enjoy this thread. Necessity is the mother of invention. The Golf flares seem to play well with our Datsuns, even the 510.

• Like 2
  • Atomic changed the title to Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project