Rear end option for my 85 720

85720Bullet

I have searched and found minial amount of info on the pathy rear swap for the 720. I am aware that it will require me to weld my leafs on etc. so can anyone give me more info on this swap etc. I need more specifically year models for LSD rears so that I can source my pull aparts and such..

Josh

Any build threads would be super cool.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on doing the same thing. Are you going to get everything from the junkyard? If so, find one with disc brakes, lsd and I'm pretty sure the gear ratio is a 4:3

I'm getting all my parts from my junkyard but instead of using the stock pathfinder calipers I'm going to find the z32 calipers and put them on. I don't think they'll know the difference but my junkyards gonna charge me like 140 for a whole rear end assembly. Seems pretty good to me. 

$140 for an lsd, disc brake with z32 calipers and with a 4:3 rear diff..........That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure the 1995 and under pathfinders are compatible. But I didn't know you have to weld the leaf springs. Why's that?

Pathfinders are coil spring and 4 link 5 link if you include the panhard bar. All the mounts for this will need to be cut off and spring perches for the leaf springs welded on.

Pathfinder--D-21conversion029Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion031Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion035Large.jpg

You could maybe save yourself some time by getting a V6 2wd D21 Hardbody axle (already has leaf spring perches on it) and swap the Pathfinder LSD differential into it. I haven't checked but the Pathfinder rear disc brake axles probably will swap over too. It's a bit of work but saves a cutting torch and hours and hours with an angle grinder like I did. (There were no D-21s around)

NOTE:

Around '95 the differential used 12 instead of 10 mounting studs... something like that look into this.

The parking brake on the Pathfinder is a miniature drum brake with cables. You'll see.

Oh yeah... LSD was only offered on 4.375 and 4.625 ratio H-233 differentials for the Pathfinder. I've never seen a Hardbody with LSD but they were available to '93 so only the early ones..

Oh, Oh yeah... fastest way to ID an LSD diff is to use a rag and wipe it's bum on the back side. Under the dirt will be a bright stamp sized sticker saying "Use LSD Oil Only"  or "LSD"

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

Maybe peel off before carrying it out of the yard. Right, it will take two very strong people to lift a complete H-233 rear end. They are HEAVY

• 1 month later...