May purchase a 1973 1200

UndefinedHero

As the title says, I've found a guy selling a fairly nice 1973 Datsun 1200 coupe. The car has had a recent paint job, and the guy says it is a good running daily driver.

However, it has some rust issues. The body looks fine, but the floor pans are somewhat rusty. The trunk isn't bad and the driver's side is the worst. The speedometer and odometer do not work, but the tachometer does.

It is all stock except for a moonroof. I don't believe they had those on this model, did they? It also has front disc brakes and 4 speed tranny. Were the front disc brakes stock?

He's asking 3500. Is it a decent value? Or should I be worried about paying that much for things that don't work?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need pics, need pics. Disc brakes are stock on the coupe. We don't know were you are located but I would make sure you know how bad the rust really is before paying that, also when you go to sell it someday having a big hole in the roof will devalue it to most. Need pics to be anymore help

No Datsuns came with a moonroof. Sunroof yes, moonroof no.

Front disc brakes were standard as were a lot of other great features like inside hood release (no american cars had that at the time). 1200 is a great car for a woman, they are easy to brake and the clutch is very light.

Rust is bad - the only thing you can't fix. You can only cut it out and weld in new.

The white one from Palmetto looks good enough to make the restoration worthwhile.

The 1200 unlike the 510 is one of the harder Datsuns to get your hands on, Price seems a bit steep but as stated they are reliable and very easy to work on, especially for a first car. keep the mods simple and classic and you should be fine on the resale side. as stated above rust can be repaired and floor pans can easily be patched. Good luck with the project and have fun...

Thanks everyone for the motivation! I'm going to look at it Saturday and bringing my dad along for a second opinion. If I do get it I can't wait to start doing work on it. I've loved working on cars since I was in high school (especially old cars), but never actually had one of my own to work on. I'm excited to go see it, needless to say.

EDIT: Everyone I talk to says that that car is only worth about $1500, but the way I see it, it's a car from 1973 that is a good running daily driver (according to the owner). It's a clean car that isn't found very often in this day and age; to me it's worth much more than $1500.

Went and looked at it yesterday; decided not to get it as the guy was firm at 3500, and it had alot of painted over rust that was bubbling the paint, cracks in paint, rusted-through driver's-side floorpan, etc. Just too much money for what was offered. I have to hand it to it, though, the car drove and shifted great. Started first time every time.