Gettin some stoppage....521 discs.

jrock4224

After about 30 min, I gave up looking for a previous pic in my photobucket account and pulled this from the factory manual on olddatsun.com.

rearbrakedia.jpg

The fronts are set up differently because they are designed to be self-actuating. The small spring on the bottom of the rears is connected to a tab on the backing plate which is why you only see half of it. It's helps keep the shoe in place because of the e-brake actuating arm. It looks like your springs are okay in the pic jrock has of the rears. The tell is in the top spring having the hooks swapped at each end. One goes on top of the shoe, the other behind. The bottom spring is on top of both shoes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.... The photo that you quoted, Wayno, is the shit that we pulled apart and discarded. But, there are two pics that I posted of all new stuff, and one looks like it has the spring done correctly, and the other doesn't. I don't remember if we switched both to be correct or not.... guess we'll find out in a few weeks when the truck gets another overhaul.

that's a pic of the front that dat provided that wayno quoted...u can see the hub.....the original pic was the rear ......the one with the yellow spring is a front ....i need to look at the rear and see if the spring and hook are onthe rear like pictured mikes olod datsun pic is good but blowing it up to see it is distortion town

Ok, here are a few more that I found in our 521 photo folder. It almost looks like it just backs up the larger spring that's on the bottom as well. And now I'm wondering why the hell you only see half of it in that pic I posted before.... <_<

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

top two pics are front drum assembly ... bottom is the rear withthe spring installed incorrectly......the first pic u posted appears to be te right one as the reason we cant see one half is cause its installed correctly....as per wayno and mikes description...wierd how dat has a pic of it both ways .....and i wonder of all wonder why i have nether lower spring on either side that attaches tot he hook by the adjuster.....it was early in my datsun career we did these brakes off another truck...but in our haste we ripped it all off with out paying attention or doing one at a time and now i think i need to find two o those lower springs to install...

IMG_3295-1.jpg

Like I said earlier, I can try to find more photos with the springs when I get home if you don't get anything more in here.

IMG_3333.jpg

in this pic it appears the brodster has it correct .... but wierd how u have a pic of it the other way too.....in almost the same condition ....we thought it was a wierd trick of the eye but it appears to be the correct way here...

Yeah, I was talking to Brody about it this morning, and the dis-assemble pics have it hooked properly (at least one on the rears did), and Brody remembers thinking it was weird, but can't remember if he realized it should have been that way or not. Oh well, the shit's been working great for over a year, so I'm not worried about it for the next few weeks while we wrap up the 510. But I am curious to see which way we ended up going with it in the end...

well that's means my shit was jacked both front and back lol.....i noticed on the rear i had the spreader bar, 22 also on backwards.....and no spring at all that grabbed the inside of the backingplate...i guess as the shoes wore over time is when it became a issue cause when all that shit was originally put on wrong they worked fine....and as the tolerance grew then developed my getting stuck on problem...then i drove to blue lake with the rear brakes stuck...oh and back too....lol.....im gonna go pull a wheel of the frame i have here that i just rembered so i m gonna go check on the parts.... its hans frame and he said that one will get four wheel discs anyway so have at it...

alright spent some time this am ...since i couldn't sleep ...finishing the bleed job and buttoning up the brakes .......road tested too....now i have lots of stoppage but still a issue...so we bleed the shit out of everything.....but pedal feels hard till u let it sit .....after about ten to thirty seconds when u go back to the brake pedal its soft.....like it still stops good but requires more travel......unless i pump the brakes twice or three times....then i can do a stoppy and the pedal is firm .....anyone run into this with the 15/16 master.....still stops like a dime just if i dont pump two or three times it takes the full travel of the pedal and feels noticeably softer...

didn't dick with the proportioning valve.....seemed to work although if i pumped the brakes i could get the rears to lock up if i really stomp on them....but that i can dial out with the valve.....if i just go to the pedal with out pumping it wont lock up the rears no matter how hard i try....so is my master the issue now... its brand new refurbished....lol

i alos noticed when pumping i get a alot of turbulence in both circuits of the master....not bubbling but the fluid is being pushed around and up .....like if the cap was off it might be old faithful....had a gm one that was simlar but someof the newer stuff i have swapped out has always been pretty tame in the resivours when pumping

Certainly sounds like the rear drum brakes need adjusted. When you pump it a couple of times, the line to the rear is full and the shoes are rubbing....when you hit the brakes, there's no way for the prop valve to proportion anything. When you let off the brake pedal for a bit, the springs return the shoes back to where they were and you have tons of pedal travel again.

Is the turbulence when you push or release the pedal. If it happens when you push, I would think there's a prob with the m/c. If it happens when you release, that's the fluid being pushed back into the m/c by the springs pulling the shoes back in the rear brakes.

Pull you e-brake until you feel a slight drag while rolling. Now try the brake pedal. If it feels good, your back brakes need adjusted. If it still acts weird, it's somehow the m/c....but I wouldn't know why. Pulling the e-brake mechanically takes up the excess travel without having to pump it.

that's a good idea there..will try the ebrake trick....when i put the new pads on i adjusted them but i still felt they were loose then needed but i got over ruled...

..so its the rear circuit or front resivoir thas bubbling on compression....to me it seems like its the fluid being displaced when u step on the pedal but seems like that should be heading to the rear brakes....am i crazy..

master is out ... never could get the mushy intial peddle out ......really want this on the road ...might have to order a new one as appossed to a reman cardone one.....sigh...but it does stop like a beast now....

.ordered some rear brakes brakets from beebani for hans red 521...

. mine needs more low now that i got it to kinda stop...oh and exhaust ... that stock one and quarter is affecting my hill climbing ability...lol

Just got the new master in this ones a 7/8 , all they could get was the 280 z one by the weekend..... Definately a different feel to the pedal from the 280 zx 15/16 that I had originally..... Bleed and re adjusted the rears..... Road test after breakfast

mother fucker stops like a beast now......over all i like the feel of the 15/16 master better but this one is far more consistent.....the 7/8 is a little mushier but when i go to use it its firm unlike the reman cardone piece of crap .....it had a bad seal like was noted ....i will post some pics once i get it back home ...still havent mastered driving two cars at once yet

mind u the 7/8 is also a cardone so its not like i could get a different brand ... everything was unavailable ....

word to the wise .....brake fluid makes the resevoiir brittle after thirty years...runnning a hodge podge of brake ressies, shattered the first two man handling them ....