Help With This disc Brake set up on a 620

whitey01

You will probably need a proportioning valve.

That Wilwood BMC is probably designed to work with a disc/disc set-up.

Whereas you have a disc/drum that you are working with.

Brakes are easy.

But also even easier to do it wrong.

GL!

Really.

We all want you to have proper brakes.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta be honest, you don't sound very mechanically inclined. When you said "metal tubing wire" in reference to the SS brake lines in your video, I had to laugh. You may be way over your head, but maybe not. Brakes are nothing to be laughed at. If not installed or biased properly, it can cause serious adverse issues that threaten life or property. Overall though, its still just a hydraulic circuit.

Just some tips, especially if your doing the work yourself.

1) Get one of these and watch their videos. http://www.jegs.com/...580478/10002/-1 I have the $174.99 system and it works well for the DIYer. Cheap version does same exact thing. It can also bench bleed if you have the right system. I still have a homemade one I made from a garden sprayer too. With this type of system though, no helper is needed.

2) Read up on brakes. There are tons of links out there to help you:

http://www.popularme...tenance/4213448

http://www.stoptech....bleeding-brakes

http://zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-bleed-your-brakes.html

You get the idea.

3) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Get a proportioning valve installed. Some people also use 2lb residual valves with a disk/drum setup. If your doing disk/disk, then it should a 10lb residual valve. The residual valve maintains a constant pressure so you don't have to "build" pressure by pumping the brakes under normal operation...presuming you have bled it properly. http://www.shining-wit.net/rick/buggy/design/brakes/index.html

Proportioning Valve Adjustment: The proportioning valve is used to adjust the rate of increase in rear brake line pressure, relative and proportionate to the increase in front brake line pressure. For safety and performance, the rear brakes should never lock before the front brakes. Otherwise, an out of control situation could occur. 1. Begin with the valve in the full proportioned (least pressure) position by turning the knob all the way out (counter-clockwise rotation). 2. In a safe location, make several hard stops from 30 MPH observing the function of the rear brakes. If the rear brakes do not lock up before the front, gradually increase the rear line pressure by rotating the valve clockwise. 3. Continue these adjustments until the maximum amount of rear brake pressure can be achieved, and no wheel rear lock is observed. 4. Test the vehicle again at 50 MPH and make any additional adjustments as needed.

Finally, do yourself a favor and lose those spacers and washers. Your asking for trouble like that. You've reduced the base circle using the washers and now you can't distribute the load equally across the face of the hub and wheel. Very good chance of bending / breaking the rims or studs. Also, you lose thread engagement which could end up really bad.

These are the proper type of spacers that should be run if possible: http://adaptitusa.co...ugadapters.aspx Shop around though. The thin spacers like you have are good when minor adjustments are made, but only when the stud length can support it. They make these in various widths too. http://www.ezaccesso...CFSmCQgod3RgAeA

• Like 1

wtf this is epic.....u should post where your at im sure theres a ratsuner dying to come help you with all that high dollar hardware....

side note if u can afford to buy wilwoods u should be able to afford to have a shop put them on ....if u dont feel comfort able...i mean

favorite line.... "he was driving all crazy taking bong hits..." thats ratsun epicness personified

Hey everyone,

I messed up. The brakes should be part 3. The motor should be part 2 and part 1, I'll tell in details later. The short version is, I bought a Datsun 1200 for $1,000 and I found the guy on craigslist to do the body work. He said he can do the whole thing for $500. I left my car on his dirt lot in Oakland, on East 14th Street. I ended up spending a couple thousand bucks, a 1 1/2 year of my time and my car basically ruined in pieces. It's sitting in my garage now and I think there are some pictures in the 1200 section.

After I got burned with the Datsun 1200, I said I will never do this again and my truck has sat in the drive way for the last 3 years. I met this guy who has 2 Datsun 510, 2 doors in kick Ass condition with dual carbs, rear disc breaks, immaculate turn key cars. This guy has compressors, tools, Datsun parts all over his garage. There's probable 100% he's a member here, but I do not know though. So my truck that's been sitting for 3 years and I found this guy, and I think this is my lucky day. I thought I would rather have someone that is totally into Datsuns to build me a simple motor and install the disc brakes so I can stop this Kick Ass truck. If I took it to Automotive Shop USA, they do a simple rebuild for a lot of money an nothing special. This guy said he can add all the special goodies for a Datsun motor. looks like he had manny parts in his garage to use

Odls School for the very detailed post. There is a lot of vaulable info there I have those links booked mark

JROCK stick with me man

I am old school myself and stopping is very important to me, that's why I haven't driven my truck. When I got it back from my new friend, I drove it around the block and called a tow truck to tow it home. I do no want to hurt anyone with bad brakes.

I'm trying to learn this stuff as fast as I can. So it looks like I'm going to need a proportioning valve with my front disc brake, rear drum set up. Everything is whiwood, I just want it to be right and easy for everybody. I just want everyone to be happy. Should I stick with the whiwood proportioning valve? It's $60 bucks Then instal!!!l bench bleed!!! and bleed entire brake system. I'm at the point where I like to have it done at a shop. I'm thinking they might say they cannot do it because they do not install all of the wilwood braking system.

so it looks like I should not Start the bleeding of the MBC an all brakes till I have the proportioning valve. After that I will get the correct spacer/lug for the rims

Anyway, I thought my new friend was going to able to do all of this stuff except he likes to drink vodka, take bong hits and sing rap songs all day long, word for word. I live in the San Francisco East Bay. If anyone wants to know what a sucker and a fool looks like......

Whitey, I gotta give you props. That last post was much much easier to read. :thumbup:

And a small correction from somebody's earlier post about residual pressure valves. 2lb valves go to the disc half of the system and 10lb go to the drum half of the system. Never install a 10lb valve in the disc half of the system, you will end up with brake drag.

Whitey, I gotta give you props. That last post was much much easier to read. :thumbup:

And a small correction from somebody's earlier post about residual pressure valves. 2lb valves go to the disc half of the system and 10lb go to the drum half of the system. Never install a 10lb valve in the disc half of the system, you will end up with brake drag.

Thanks

I have to confess I had my 13 yr old type it for me

• Like 1

W in TF??????

Stop listening to people telling you how great an expert they are. You seem easily led around. Get the hell away from your 'new friend' and stay home.

You're being taken advantage of. Someone else is pissing your time and money away and you have nothing to show for it. Who the fuck would have body work done by some guy on craigslist???????

How much have you spent on this thing so far?

How much are you going to have to spend to fix up all the fuck ups..so far???

Are you closer to having it on the road today than 3 years ago?????

I know I am being takin advantage off thats way every thing is on hold till just a few weeks ago. right now it is worse than 3 years ago if drive it to the gas station I still get nice truck is it for sell thumbs up I not happy now that my to bumpers hood bumper is not right I have all the parts from rock auto pretty cheap except hood . Hey I have A idea may be i can look on crigs list to in stall the fenders , bumpers an lower valace Just kidding I wish some one would punch me in the jaw if Ithink about doing that.

there is a oics of my 1200 on page 11 oics of 1200

I live in Alameda close to the base Thing is i have no friends only my dog likes me even the guy who messed up my truck smoking green bud weed all day started not to like me. I drove my truck to some Datsun group in modesto last year an people talking to me asking me to park my truck by theres I freaked out an left.

Oh yea!! I am ok I am financially stable I know I sound like a fool some times .. All I wanted was to pay a fair price for working brakes.. To morrow I am going to tell my engine story with my new freind the short story is Be fore I brought the truck to his house If I filled up the truck with oil an filled up the truck with gas I would bet that the oil will be gone 1st

Who the fuck would have body work done by some guy on craigslist???????

I bought the Datsun 1200 for 1000 bucks. He was going to take it to the junk yard for the Cali turn in your car for a 1000 bucks program. I did not want to see a pice of history chrushed. just wanted to park it onthe street an drive it around town

I don't have 7 to 10 k for body an paint. i am learning the hard way there are no free lunchs

um wait......so a dude asked u to park your truck by his and your freaked out and left.....that sounds like some bath salts shit there...lol...

2 suggestions..1... slow down ... your posts read like a tweaker on the sauce....i now know what its like to read some of my posts...

2 slow down we wanna help , we can help , we will help ... but your not helping yourself....ratsun has walked me through more mundane simple to most stuff on here..brakes are important.....its a simple premie if u just slow down....first thing i would do is befriend some peeps on hee and see if u can get a second set of eyes on this....what may be overwhelming to yo might be simple to another...why no post some pics and try and at least get the system installed right... thats half the battle...bleeding is a simple process but its not a singular job either.....

imo it sounds like u guys just threw brake parts on there dumped fluid in and expected to stop the earths rotation.....its not that easy...i think u need to go back to square one ....maybe call the original dude and see if yo can get one bong hit...ONE...then post on here, it might seem less excitable if u did...

free advice, pay no mind to flatcat...... he is just pissed cause he comes to ratsun daily an has no datsun...so its more a chance to get at people..( yeah we know flat u had to sell it .... i can sympathize..still no reason to parade a small dick through here...)...stay off craiglists other than to aquire parts or a date...u will end up dead and dattoless.....this wnt be fixed inone day ... it may take a week or two but if u slow down and take your tinme ratsun will see u through .... no one has ever left ratsun after showing up with a running datsun only to leave with a broken one.... well down shifter, but he doesnt count anyway

.. no one has ever left ratsun after showing up with a running datsun only to leave with a broken one.... well down shifter, but he doesnt count anyway

oh and jalen but he is still here now and again....but he is on his second car dismantle, craiglist upsell adventure..

step one....put truck on jack stands and remove wheels...it will be here a while so u can stash the wheels or hide them from yourself as to not entice yourself to be on the road prematurely...start on one side and go through tna make sure everything is on right and tight..rinse and repeat on other side...if u need photo reference, go to google and type in wilwood brake up grade on a 620 and ratsun .net only look at ratsun links, or 510realm...although if u go to the realm be prepared u will get banned after post number 4...lol....stay away from anything datsunminitruck.douche....they will lead u a stray....u might find some of your "new" friends are on there :ninja: ....u first need to make sure your hardware is legit and installed properly... other wise doing anything with brake fluid would be futile...

post your findings and we will go from there...

I only pick 'em up and do my thing.

No killing.

Back to brakes.

It is possible if you guys didn't bench bleed your master cylinder that you blew the seals in it.

It sounds like you are very close to having it going stopping if all the equipment is good.

If I was doing all of this, here is my process...

*check for leaks at rear wheel cylinder; repair if needed.

*adjust rear brakes properly.

*bench bleed master cylinder properly. Off car, and on(considering that it has bleeder valves on the master.)

*bleed all the brakes with a friend helping and a bleeder bottle attached. LF, RF, RR, then LR.

You may find that the rears are still a little wonky-you can come back and figure out your next plan of attack when you know EVERYTHING is in proper working order.

Like I said earlier,

Brakes are easy.

But, brakes are also really easy to do wrong.

GL, man.

We're all pullin for ya.

yo flat i went back and read and there was never a mention of actually bleeding the system..... barely a mention of bench bleeding and even then i dont think the concept was ever grasped to know whether or not he was answering approrpiately....... i do recommend that while your checking t make sure everything is on right that u need to inspect and adjust rear brakes or u may chase your tail longer than needed...

...slow down ... your posts read like a tweaker on the sauce....i now know what its like to read some of my posts...

....maybe call the original dude and see if yo can get one bong hit...ONE...then post on here, it might seem less excitable if u did...

free advice...stay off craiglists other than to aquire parts or a date...u will end up dead and dattoless.....

LMAO! :rofl: